PDA

View Full Version : Someone's gotta know how to make washer nozzles spray like new...

TC535i
09-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Is there a way to clean these things out, or is it just best to buy new ones from the dealership? Anyone know the secret to like-new windshield washer performance??

632 Regal
09-19-2004, 03:33 PM
stick a small wire in the nozzle, such as one from a piece of wire, I think a pin is too thick. They are also adjustable too!

winfred
09-19-2004, 03:53 PM
new is better but you can sometimes take them apart and clean the crud out without destroying them, i don't even try anymore, not worth my time

black_bird_blue
09-19-2004, 04:10 PM
I've always used a pin - I'm in the habit of pushing a pin into the end of the passenger wiper blade so if the nozzles clog up I have one to hand. It's a sewing pin rather than a safety pin and fits right down into the nozzle. I also only use BMW screenwash - I have a thing about the smell, it's just soooo nice - and that seems to discourage clogging somehow (I know not how).

Damian

mholbrook
09-19-2004, 04:49 PM
I can tell you that new is good but expensive because these are heated nozzles. I always have used a pin and had a helper hit the sprayer while I was cleaning and aiming them. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a "non-heated" version to replace the heated. I live in San Diego and don't really need heat.

632 Regal
09-19-2004, 06:39 PM
heated hmm...I wondered what them wires were

MicahO
09-20-2004, 07:01 AM
Is there a way to clean these things out, or is it just best to buy new ones from the dealership? Anyone know the secret to like-new windshield washer performance??

Pin always worked, except for the previous owner's error. Driver's side was always weak, so I finally took the thing apart to replace the driver's side nozzle, and what do I find? That the previous owner had apparently replaced the driver's side nozzle with a nozzle with two fittings, I suppose the second fitting was for the high-intensity system? Well, the guy had only connected one of the fittings, and perhaps plugged the second one. Eventually that second fitting got un-plugged and was letting off a lot of pressure - right into the hood insulation, which was a mess.

A small pin - very narrow gauge, should be able to break up whatever is in there. And don't be afraid to drop the insulation and see what's lurking - it may just be a loose fitting.

Sweetwater
09-20-2004, 10:40 AM
After you break open the nozzle, anybody ever try some mild vinegar flush? It works great for my coffee maker's deposits. I would think if the nozzle is clogged, the whole system could use a decalcification. Maybe one of those tablets in solution would work too?

Disclosure: I haven't tried it yet, will probably experiment on a different auto before trying it on the bimmer.

Jason
09-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Pin always worked, except for the previous owner's error. Driver's side was always weak, so I finally took the thing apart to replace the driver's side nozzle, and what do I find? That the previous owner had apparently replaced the driver's side nozzle with a nozzle with two fittings, I suppose the second fitting was for the high-intensity system? Well, the guy had only connected one of the fittings, and perhaps plugged the second one. Eventually that second fitting got un-plugged and was letting off a lot of pressure - right into the hood insulation, which was a mess.

A small pin - very narrow gauge, should be able to break up whatever is in there. And don't be afraid to drop the insulation and see what's lurking - it may just be a loose fitting.

Mr Project
09-20-2004, 09:10 PM
I spent a great deal of time cleaning mine a while back. Carb cleaner, pins, toothpicks, and compressed air made a nice clean nozzle (watch out, the carb cleaner can eat the plastic). Of course I broke one putting it back in, and had to buy a new one from BMA at about $21. Of course, the new one works 10000% better than my 'cleaned' old one. Not worth it, IMO. And I'm CHEAP!! :)

rph
09-21-2004, 06:52 AM
How to fix it. Here's a repeat of a post fromwhen I had my BW 535 (BW=before wreck):

Posted by Robert '90 535i 5 speed on October 15, 2002 at 08:49:12:

My needle method, as used over the years on other cars, didn’t work. You could try replacing your nozzles but I notice the BMW ETK doesn’t have a part number listed for the heated nozzle so don’t hold your breath.

I ended up dismantling the nozzles completely. Here’s what you do. It helps to have compressed air on hand:

1. Park car outside if you think squirting water into the nozzle inlet will work. It might, but it didn’t for me. I recommend removing the nozzle completely (see below)
2. Peel back the hood insulation by removing enough clips – I found the top two rows was enough. You could wedge a small piece of wood between the underside of the hood and the insulation to keep the insulation out of the way.
3. Unplug the nozzle heater cable.
4. Undo the hose clamp and remove hose (at this point, if you wanted you could test the washer pump and check if hose is clear – better if car is outside for that).
5. It would be possible to do the rest without removing the nozzle from the hood, but you better have a good chiropractor.
6. Using a pair of large adjustable pliers, remove nozzle from hood (see Bentley manual for more on this operation – it’s a bit tricky but persevere).
7. The nozzle can be disassembled as follows:
8. Remove plastic clip at base of nozzle. It comes away orthogonally to the direction the nozzle is located into the hood (ie sideways).
9. You can now slide the innards out from the casing. What will come out is the core that holds what look like heating contacts. If you then look inside you will see a metal assembly tucked in there. I’m guessing this is the metal mass that heats up thus de-icing the nozzle and surrounding area (I use the word nozzle here for the whole works not just the jets). This metal assembly should just drop out, but it might need a tap or some gentle assistance (use needle) to free up.
10. And there you have it. Just clean the bits and pieces, Use compressed air to blow into the jets from both directions.
11. As they say in the classics, assembly is the reverse of the above.
12. Allow an hour, or a bit longer, for the whole operation.

Chad535
09-21-2004, 07:06 AM
I replaced the heated nozzels with BMW standard twin inlet ones....Two Y joints from any toyota parts shop and 10 minutes of work will get you new nozzels at a much cheaper price than the heated ones.