PDA

View Full Version : E34 V8 Steering Box Nightmare (long, short Q at end)

black_bird_blue
09-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Come with me on a journey....

A journey beginning with interest, fastidiousness and care, and currently marooned on the shores of rampant desolation.

Yes, I had that famous "slack in the middle" of my E34 steering.

First I got hold of a secondhand box and fitted it in the car. Note how that 3-day odyssey was condensed into half a sentence, there. It took me 2 days to split the ball joint holding the rack bar to the pitman arm. Most of that time was trying alternative ball joint splitters and trying to find a position to get them to fit in the car and give me spanner access. Then there was the WWF three falls/three submissions routine to get the box out of the car and the same pantomime to get it back in again. Still, apart from that ("apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?") it all went OK - no leaks, system bled up first time.

The bad news was that the new box was only marginally better than the old one. Still, this did leave me with a working car and a steering box to send away to be reconditioned.

When the box came back it still felt like there was slack on centre, and I discovered the idler arm was loose in the car - I guess I hadn't tightened it properly after loosening it to see if it would help me get the box out the first time (it didn't). Part of me wondered if that was the sole cause of the play in the steering all along...but I tightened it and the play was still there. Although it felt like there was slack on centre in the reconditioned box, I decided to place my faith in the reconditioners and revisit the box fitting ordeal.

I repeated the performance of the steering box change, this time completing it between 11 am and 9 pm yesterday - a good improvement on the first go, I thought. I did swear more at the box while wrestling it out and in again; I don't know if that actually helped. I left it without the fluid, figuring I'd be better able to look for leaks the next day in daylight and looking forward to a triumphal lash-free drive - there was no lash at all when everything was in place.

This morning I duly filled the reservoir with Bilstein Febi S6161 (couldn't find Pentosin CHF 11S on a Sunday), turned the steering wheel and...watched in horror as it all ran onto my drive, apparently unhindered by any kind of sealing technology placed in its way.

Wriggling under the car on stands, I fully expected to see my shoddy spanner-work resulting in a leak from one or both of the hydraulic unions onto the box, but no, they were clean and dry. The fluid appears to be issuing from the Pitman shaft on the steering box, although the restricted view in there makes it hard for me to be really certain. However, much tickling and teasing fails to produce evidence of wetness anywhere else and with the engine running the fluid flows into the small hole atop the suspension subframe immediately adjacent to the Pitman arm, whence it is distributed every which way by the box culvert/subframe to reappear anywhere it feels like.

Last time I did it there was a nut on the nose of the steering box that issued fluid; I tightened it and it all stopped. However, this time there is no evidence of wetness around there.

It breaks my heart to have to have the steering box out again, not to mention disappointing me slightly. Before I seek redress from the box reconditioner, I have two simple questions:

- Is there anything anyone can think of that I could have done to the box to make it do this? Specifically, backing half a car length out of my garage with no fluid in the system?
- Is it possible the leak is coming from somewhere other than the Pitman shaft (i.e. not from the steering box at all)?

Thanks for your time to read and I look forward to your ridicule/constructive suggestions/shoulder to cry on....

Damian

black_bird_blue
09-20-2004, 02:45 AM
anyone? the Q is really short, honest...

632 Regal
09-20-2004, 02:28 PM
is there a seal on the new box? I have purchased transmission pumps for the race cars and 2 times there were no seals. I now have learned to check them before the night before race day! SOme manufactures just do not include them as part of the final assembly. I hope that is the problem and all you have to do is whack a new one (carefully) in there and hope your good to go.

black_bird_blue
09-21-2004, 03:43 AM
I got a good look at the Pitman shaft yesterday and it's definitely gushing out of there. I called the steering box reconditioning place and got a sympathetic response - it shouldn't do that, we've never one do that before, etc etc. So anyway I got it out of the car last night (only 2 hours - is that some kind of record?) and it's going back to them today.

Damn, I was soooo looking forward to driving it with no lash!

Damian

632 Regal
09-21-2004, 12:35 PM
I got a good look at the Pitman shaft yesterday and it's definitely gushing out of there. I called the steering box reconditioning place and got a sympathetic response - it shouldn't do that, we've never one do that before, etc etc. So anyway I got it out of the car last night (only 2 hours - is that some kind of record?) and it's going back to them today.

Damn, I was soooo looking forward to driving it with no lash!

Damian

Reidal
09-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Really enjoyed reading your post Damian. 10 out of 10 for style and delivery.

Hope things get better from here on in (although I'd eagerly read your description of any further misfortune, nasty man that I am).

Good luck with the re-conditioner and subsequent re-re--reassembly..

black_bird_blue
09-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Thank you kindly for your encouragement. Steering box may be back with me tomorrow, I'll post more then...

If it goes wrong again, at least it will generate some stylish prose...

Damian

black_bird_blue
09-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Couldn't get a look in while the box was in the car; once I got it out I just packaged it up and charged across to DHL. Having looked at the old box (my spare) I don't know that I could see anything past the Pitman arm anyway...

Damian

black_bird_blue
10-03-2004, 04:20 PM
At last, my journey is over...I am rescued from the shores of desolation.

The steering box reconditioner admitted "the seal got twisted, they do that sometimes" and "it shouldn't leak any more now, er, no, I mean it definitely won't leak now". He got it back to me in double-quick time, the day after I dropped it off to DHL to send it back to him.

Despite having broken my inspection light I got the box back on in about 2 hours - I knew every nut & bolt and access angle. Sigh. I put the box back on and made the hydraulic circuit before connecting the rack bar, and bled everything up to be sure I wouldn't need to take it off again.

Once I got the rack bar on, I lined up the marks on the steering box thinking that would be on-centre; wrong! It was about 100 degrees out. Then I tried (3 times) to do it by counting turns lock-to-lock but I could never get the handwheel better than about 10 degrees off-centre. Finally I rolled the car onto our 4-wheel alignment rig at work and put the front wheels on-centre, then put the handwheel in the middle. The good news was that the back end of the car is really square (it had a little more toe-out than spec, but the car was unladen and the spec calls for 2 front seat passengers, a centre rear and 21 kg luggage in the trunk; I expect the car toes-in with bump travel, so I didn't worry about it). Of course the alignment rig doesn't lie, so the wheel is now deliciously central.

Does anyone know a reliable amateur way to centre the steering? I'm just curious, since I was surprised at not being able to get it right.

Anyway, a few days later a Mondeo ST220 was giving chase down the Fosse Way (and doing pretty well, truth be told) when I heard a thump from under the car. When I pulled up and looked under the hood, there were two blades missing from the primary engine fan. Anyway, that's changed now...

I'm sailing away from the desolate shores and when I look back, oh how I laugh. No, really, I do. No, really. Ho ho.

At least I have steering like BMW originally intended!

Damian

632 Regal
10-03-2004, 05:27 PM
at least that project is sucessfully over.

Reidal
10-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Should we try and find a couple of virgins to sacrifice in the hope that all will go well from now on? :p

A good result was overdue Damian