PDA

View Full Version : The lines of the E34....

Jr ///M5
09-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Study the E34 for a few moments if you will, soon you will see the pleasing lines that configure this style, the E34.

There isn't a bad line throughout the whole car. From front to back, the lines flow evenly and with purpose. Each line connecting another body line with a geometric swoop that compliments adjacent panels. Every plane, adjoins another, with a line that intersects, or shadows a complimentary line.

The longer you look at it, the more mesmorizing it becomes. You can almost see the "clay lines" that were purposely cut into the mold of the body. A careful look of the body side molding will reveal this quality. Especially shadow lines, just park your car half in and half out of direct sunlight to see this effect.......

Then, you ask youself this question, "Who the hell had this kind of vision????".......compared to todays cars, with the "European Flair?". Just looking at the E34, lets you know, the chisled shape will live indefinately. A classic shape indeed. With a complimentary geometric pattern, that is, "Pleasing to the Eye", casting design shadows that gives this shape, the ability to breath...

Makes you wonder where the new designs are headed, and, if they will endure the same type of "classic" style that BMW has been known to produce. Generations will tell.... They will tell of the days the E34 style, with it's geometric pattern, and it being the one of the upmost standards of the automotive industry. They will speak of a classic design that we have had the privledge of knowing, and driving. They might copy or reproduce it, but they will never know the satisfaction of owning one.....One, one of the greatest cars ever built!

Jr
'91 ///M5

Mr. BILL
09-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Yep it's perty alright!

I think it's a more origional deaign than my E39, which I think resembles a Honda Civic.

Paul in NZ
09-18-2004, 08:20 PM
another perfect illustration of this brilliant design.I have upset a few people at the BMW car club by saying the E34 is my idea of THE BMW.Not the 2002,not 635,not the E30....

DueyT
09-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Jr...absolutely! In fact, I'm going to take a picture of my car at work, from the 2nd story "water closet" window that I stare out of, marvelling at the E34's Classic (capital C intended) lines. Man, it doesn't get much better than that! About the only thing Bangle's monsters have is the reverse rake on the lower portion of the rear windows. Everything else is bizarre at best. Dame Edna Z4's in different sizes and proportions with glued on asses is not what I like.

It's not a simple question of folks not letting go of the past...it truly is as Junior describes it....classic automotive artwork. I'll take a Rodain or Mondigliani over Picasso any day!

Cheers
Duey

Paul in NZ
09-18-2004, 08:25 PM
made me realize.Its kinda like it has been sculpted from solid,not a moulded plastic toy...I often cant walk into work without lookin back....

Jr ///M5
09-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Duey T......the rear window vent portion of the window aligns with the front of the rear wheel well. Look closely, the angles do not appear to line up with anything, until......you look straight down. Follow the line of the rear window vent down and you will connect with the front of the rear wheel opening... Amazing itsn't it?

This type of "line" is what makes the E34 a classic in it's time. The so called, "un-noticed" line. You might even hear people say, "There's something about that car, but I can't put my finger on it".....is probably the ultimate compliment.

Enjoy the lines, they were ahead of their time.....

Jr

winfred
09-18-2004, 11:07 PM
i beleve that's called "generic plastic box"

compared to todays cars, with the "European Flair

Bocaj
09-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Study the E34 for a few moments if you will, soon you will see the pleasing lines that configure this style, the E34.

There isn't a bad line throughout the whole car. From front to back, the lines flow evenly and with purpose. Each line connecting another body line with a geometric swoop that compliments adjacent panels. Every plane, adjoins another, with a line that intersects, or shadows a complimentary line.

The longer you look at it, the more mesmorizing it becomes. You can almost see the "clay lines" that were purposely cut into the mold of the body. A careful look of the body side molding will reveal this quality. Especially shadow lines, just park your car half in and half out of direct sunlight to see this effect.......

Then, you ask youself this question, "Who the hell had this kind of vision????".......compared to todays cars, with the "European Flair?". Just looking at the E34, lets you know, the chisled shape will live indefinately. A classic shape indeed. With a complimentary geometric pattern, that is, "Pleasing to the Eye", casting design shadows that gives this shape, the ability to breath...

Makes you wonder where the new designs are headed, and, if they will endure the same type of "classic" style that BMW has been known to produce. Generations will tell.... They will tell of the days the E34 style, with it's geometric pattern, and it being the one of the upmost standards of the automotive industry. They will speak of a classic design that we have had the privledge of knowing, and driving. They might copy or reproduce it, but they will never know the satisfaction of owning one.....One, one of the greatest cars ever built!

Jr
'91 ///M5

You're right.
Here some examples of a great looking e34

http://members.home.nl/bocaj/ex1.jpeg
http://members.home.nl/bocaj/ex2.jpeg

ryan roopnarine
09-19-2004, 04:22 AM
the headlight "datum" surface is too abrupt for me....if they curved the viewable portion in the side profile, then it I would consider it perfect.

632 Regal
09-19-2004, 01:24 PM
the headlight "datum" surface is too abrupt for me....if they curved the viewable portion in the side profile, then it I would consider it perfect.

rockyfeller
09-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Yes our cars are very handsome , classy and artfully made. Proportions are perfect and intentional. Every subtle line is perfect and the car has an overall solid, serious, substantial look that few cars can match. It is truly timeless. Sorry that the same can't be said for Bangle's designs.

DueyT
09-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Junior, I see what you mean about the rear vent window!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540L-Lg.JPG

The other line I like is how the shadow line is ever so gently eased out then back in as it passes through the front fender flare, then neatly towards the rear where it perfectly sub-divides the rear bezel between brake and turn indicator.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540rtqtr.jpg

Dang, did one of us happen to mention that these are classicaly beautiful cars?:D

JonE
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
When I first showed the E34 to my wife, she called it "cute". I was thinking something more like "handsome". Her Mini Cooper is "cute"!

632 Regal
09-22-2004, 10:31 AM
as if I was renting or borrowing it. After a month I think she realized it was mine and took me to FOC to raise my child support...LOL Jealous HAHA