PDA

View Full Version : Trip report

rickm
09-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Went to Avon, NC (Outer Banks) on monday for a week of surf time. Left here at 3:35am, over the 493 miles I drove I pulled 26mpg....I did 70+ most of the way with 5 surfboards on the roof. Wasn't as noisy as I thought it was going to be. Only 24.8 on the return trip....only 4 boards (snapped one, @$%$#%) but it was windy and rainy most of the way.

Somewhere near Greensboro I saw a stretch 7 series, that was cool. :)

Robin-535im
09-18-2004, 01:07 PM

632 Regal
09-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Went to Avon, NC (Outer Banks) on monday for a week of surf time. Left here at 3:35am, over the 493 miles I drove I pulled 26mpg....I did 70+ most of the way with 5 surfboards on the roof. Wasn't as noisy as I thought it was going to be. Only 24.8 on the return trip....only 4 boards (snapped one, @$%$#%) but it was windy and rainy most of the way.

Somewhere near Greensboro I saw a stretch 7 series, that was cool. :)

rickm
09-18-2004, 05:24 PM
I should have taken pictures of the stash. 10 cases of beer, a dozen bottles of booze.

Robin, when I reload for my next trip I'll snap one of 4 up on top. The snapped one I'll prolly patch and ebay.

MBXB
09-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Rick,

What kinda rack are you using to haul the boards? BMW E34 rack or aftermarket? I'm using the BMW and would like a wider one.

MBXB

rickm
09-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Thules with the 369 footpack, the lb50 bars and the 554 Hang Two surf carrier. If I did this again I'd buy wider bars...the 58s would be nice but you gotta be careful if you leave them on, they stick out far enough to where you'll bump them if you're not looking (don't ask how I know). The Hang 2s outsides are mounted at the end of the rack on the outside of the foot.

To keep stuff secure I have 4 Da Kine deluxe tie down straps...they slip over the bar....I loop them around a bunch, they go over the boards, cinch down nicely w/o having to wrap them around everything. When not in use I shove the ends into the rear of the car, loop the hooks on the little shirt carrier thingie then shut the doors. Keeps the miscreants from walking away with 'em.

Don't open the sunroof with a full load when doing 85, it sounds like a jet taking off.