PDA

View Full Version : Castrol Syntec 5/50?

Steven G
09-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Hi
Our Costco has Castrol Syntec 5/50 for a decent price of $5.00 Cdn per litre. Any comments on using this oil in the '95 M50 TU engine?
Thanks
Steven G.

632 Regal
09-18-2004, 01:36 PM
That will work, I think most people have converted to Mobil-1 0w-40 these days.

ilovemy_e34
09-18-2004, 02:43 PM
That is a great price for the oil, but depending on where you live (normal temps need to be taken into consideration) you really do not need that thin of an oil for both cars you own. I think that only the M models really require that thin of an oil due to there close tolerants. Personally I would go with at least a 10W-50 synthetic. I run 20w-50 in my 1992 535i. (The motor has about 30,000 miles on it after rebuild. -- ported poilished, high comp, it is a pretty raced out little motor my dad built for me and it loves 20w -50).
-Cory Silva

632 Regal
09-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Might want to give that a whirl too.

Paul in NZ
09-18-2004, 06:53 PM
the most wear "normal" engines get occurs at start up.At this time "thin "oil circulates around the engine much faster.The idea that you need a thick oil is outdated with synthetic technology.Towing,or holidaying with full cars or long traffic jams will elevate your oil temperatures,and full range synthetics will handle that situation better too.If you want the best life possible from your engine do two things,use a "thin" synthetic,and make sure you change your coolant every two years.Bmw recomend Castrol synthetic 5w 30 for my 535i in NZ

ryan roopnarine
09-19-2004, 04:17 AM
that might be a little thick for the m50. do they have any other deals on, say, the 0w30? that is almost a 40 weight in viscosity and it has all of the latest european manufacturer approvals (as in very few other oils can meet them). if i were you, i'd just get any castrol syntec product for your 525i (at the price you mention) between 30-50 weight (at top of heat range) that specifically said on the back that it was NOT made in the USA (or says: "not for sale outside of north america" ).....which would narrow the selection down to "made in belgium" or "made in germany". the US castrol synthetic product is not even close in value to mobil 1....everybody here likes Mobil 1 0w40.....non US syntec or mobil 1, either is a good choice.

Steven G
09-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks to all for your replies. I live 1 hour north of the Montana/Alberta border and our cars are only summer driven. Most of the miles were put on by P. O. During the winter I start them every 3 - 4 weeks. I change the oil (non-synthentic) twice a year regardless of mileage (sometimes very low). I would like to switch to synthetic and do changes once a year. The Costco price is only on the 5/50 syntec - no others available. I did find Mobil 1 0/40 @ $8.50 Cdn a litre - I will continue to check for Mobil 1 availability & prices. Thanks again.
Steven G.