PDA

View Full Version : Rusted replacement calipers and discs...

Uncle Paully
09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
hey guys, i wanted to throw a topic out there and see what you guys thought.
i replaced one of the calipers on my car because it seized. it took out the disc in the process and as a result i changed the disc and caliper with a brembo disc and non-factory caliper.
so like two months go by and the hub part of the disk and the caliper appear very rusty. when i compare it to the other stock parts on the car, i am really astonished. all the stock parts are fine. there is no rust anywhere. the replacement parts look like they have been through 10 vermont winters.
does anyone know if the stock parts are of superiour quality or process? if i were to have purchaed the parts from a dealership, will they rust or will they hold up like the originals?
what do you guys think
thanks
paul

632 Regal
09-17-2004, 09:26 PM
The stock componants are made from proprietory alloys, some contain more base metals than just iron which most aftermarket are made from. You can treat the aftermarket stuff with clear heat paint in an effort to make it not as succeptible to rust. Personally it doesnt matter as far as performance or longevity, more of a cosmetic feature. DOnt sweat it but if you start pulling to one side more than the other you might want to change both sides to the same brand or manufacturer.

winfred
09-17-2004, 09:48 PM
non factory caliper usually means rebuilt factory, which is generally bead blasted and left uncoated for some odd reason

Uncle Paully
09-18-2004, 03:45 PM
thanks for the info dudes