PDA

View Full Version : that old bugbar - remote keyfobs!

tonypope
09-17-2004, 05:15 AM
Hello there, from over here in scotland!

Having just returned to the fold,(slumming it for a few years with F**d!), I have now got a great E34 520 SEI,(M50 engine and apparently identical spec to your loaded 525 model), of '92 vintage. Looking at the EPC, the original alarm system (control unit on inside left engine bay, 82-11-9-418-403) was superceded by the remote operated unit (is it called the 'Alpine' ?, 82-11-9-400-859) under the rear seat cushion. Both are still fitted, it appears, but I have no remotes!! (common problem, I hear !)

The questions I'd appreciate any answers to are:

a. What spec is the remote alarm supposed to be? i.e. auto closing of windows and sunroof, ultrasonic protection, remote central locking operation, etc.

b. Which remote control should I be trying to find? 3-button (88-88-1-600-292)or 2, or the older one (82-11-1-467-015)?

c. Are these newer alarms utilising ultrasonic detectors in the cabin (These are fitted on the A-pillars) and does the LED indicator/switch on the facia centre air inlet grille work with this newer alarm?

I know its a bit long winded but looking at EPC's, TIS's and numerous forums shows there to be much confusion on this subject, so better I put down as much info as possible for you guys to help...............please!

AllanS
09-17-2004, 08:11 AM
My 95 had a similar factory alarm, and it used a little chip corresponding to the unit under the seat... I had 2 remotes, and when one had the battery die, I switched the chip into the good one and it worked fine. I would ask a local bmw dealer what your options are.

Mine didn't do any of that fancy stuff, it was just a 2 button flat rectangle. I think one armed/disarmed, and one was the panic button.

My 91' came with a viper unit, so i'm a bit fuzzy on how the old one operated, sorry!

tonypope
09-17-2004, 09:47 AM
cheers for that bit of info, epecially the lack of functions, still doesn't explain the sensors or LED, anyone else have a clue?.........only now I'm really confused as the tamper labels on both units have crazy dates of fitting: the supposed new one under the seat has 09/91 and the supposed old one under the bonnet has is dated 05/92, another oddity is that the one under the seat doesn't have a slot to insert a chip from a remote to allow enco0ding of the remote to the alarm.............