PDA

View Full Version : Head project turning into a MAJOR one

Mr. BILL
09-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Between work and waiting on parts, I decided to take the opportunity to fix other things that need attention on my '90 525. I've decided to replace the wiper console mechanism and the heater core.

My garage looks like a giant Chineese jigsaw puzzle!

632 Regal
09-16-2004, 06:59 PM
I used to do that when Id work on detroit iron or the race cars, added challanges.

Hector
09-16-2004, 07:24 PM
I started my ordeal by pulling the head off first, then refurbished the valvetrain and cleaned everything related to the head. I got a little overconfident and thought I'd work on the bottom end of engine by removing the oil pan to replace gasket and correct leak of which I did. Was a major pain in the kiester... working under the car for extended periods of time is pretty lame but had to be done. Then I had to work on the front end of engine because being the rookie that I was at the time, I broke off the timing chain guide rail when I pulled the head off... ouch!! At the time, Jeff N shot a suggestion to replace all sprockets and chains which I'm glad I did cause it was needed. To top it all off, cleaned engine bay, replaced AC insulation and applied some tricolor paint to some engine parts for contrast. I'm almost there with the assembly and some finishing touches...

Mr. BILL
09-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Naw, I put them in a zip lock bag for each component and labeled them.

Mr. BILL
09-16-2004, 09:29 PM
I was thinking about replacing the crank seal, but I'm not sure I can break the crank bolt loose.

Hector
09-17-2004, 09:19 AM
do you have the right tools to do the job. Rommel said he used an impact wrench from his friend to break the nut loose. I opted for the breaker bar and cheater bar method. I bought everything from scratch like the breaker bar, impact socket, crankshaft locking tool, 5' pipe and a hanging scale so that I can rig up a home-made torque wrench to torque that nut back on. If you don't have the tools, then this is gonna be an additonal expense that will further dent your pocket. There are some rental tool places out there that might alleviate costs.

Don't mean to scare you but, I had the lower timing chain cover off and was easy to replace the seal. With the cover on, it will be a little more difficult and you will need a snapon windshield molding or cotter key tool, pick-like screwdriver, with the end bent to pick the seal out as suggested by Bill R.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=13830