PDA

View Full Version : Need good security

e34
09-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Last night there was someone in my back yard, i was in the living room watching TV and i heard something open the shade doors, and once i got up to see what was that, i heard the door close and i ran to the bedrooms with a bibi gun, not allot but something my bro payed like $270 for it so it has allot of punch and i have a good aim history. But anyway when the door closed i thought it was in the bedrooms sence the sound seemd to come from there, but as i checked the rooms and ran outside with a flash light they must have ran away. So just wanted to see whats the best security that i can get for my house, im 18 so i will be getting a 12 guage shotgun but is there anything else i should be looking at like a house security system, this is a good area but u never know, so any ideas?

AllanS
09-15-2004, 12:46 PM
I'd get a dog... a male akita, probably. Or maybe a german shepherd.

632 Regal
09-15-2004, 01:05 PM
A dog is a good start, I have had alarms in everything since I was ripped off in High School, all of my grandparents treasures, old coins etc were stolen and traded for face value for crack...talk about devistation and violation! Alarms are a good detereeent because you set it and forget it, even if your out of town you know that the police will be checking it out.

With a dog and you out of town either someone will have to stay and babysit your dog or you put it in a kennel, neither would be a good alternative.

My 2¢

ryan roopnarine
09-15-2004, 10:34 PM
cheap solution? get as much air as you can on a mount, and hook up a mercury/sodium lamp so that it lights up your yard and your neighbors' yards as well. supplant with 5-10 dollar floodlamp mounts anywhere where the light doesn't shine. you don't have to pay for monthly monitoring for a lightbulb, and people are very reluctant to f*** with your property when bystanders can see everything that occurs in your yard 24/7. this could help until you decide what security system/gun/canine option you want to exercise.

632 Regal
09-16-2004, 09:19 AM
cheap solution? get as much air as you can on a mount, and hook up a mercury/sodium lamp so that it lights up your yard and your neighbors' yards as well. supplant with 5-10 dollar floodlamp mounts anywhere where the light doesn't shine. you don't have to pay for monthly monitoring for a lightbulb, and people are very reluctant to f*** with your property when bystanders can see everything that occurs in your yard 24/7. this could help until you decide what security system/gun/canine option you want to exercise.

Tiger
09-16-2004, 09:57 AM
I agree with motion sensor light... cheap and trips everytime someone is there.

632 Regal
09-16-2004, 11:07 AM
no more peeping Toms

Tiger
09-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Good security system cost alot of money... However, if you are handy, you can set yourself up a wireless security system for very little money... Don't use ADT... they charge you a fortune on monitoring services... You should be able to program your security to call your cell phone.

Other than that, I'd recommend motion sensor floodlight... get the one with wide angle of view... 180 degree or higher. Backyard, set to high sensitivity and don't forget to leave the switch on all the time... tape it in on position so you don't forget.

AZ_Jason_S
09-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Just curious...

Tiger
09-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Mmm... Arizona? Isn't that the state where you can shoot someone on your property without facing criminal charge? I know Texas is one of them. Ding Dong... Bang!... Sweeps...

e34
09-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Just curious...

I live in North Pheonix, 34st and Union Hills

AZ_Jason_S
09-16-2004, 09:29 PM
I live in North Pheonix, 34st and Union Hills

I'm at 7th st and Dunlap

AZ_Jason_S
09-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Mmm... Arizona? Isn't that the state where you can shoot someone on your property without facing criminal charge? I know Texas is one of them. Ding Dong... Bang!... Sweeps...

But pretty damn close. If you are in "fear of your life" you can defend yourself. I don't think you can shoot someone in the back just for being on your property though.

MBXB
09-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Do the spotlights with the motion sensors. Get one or two X10 compatible motion detector floods, and add Robodog:

http://www.x10.com/security/x10_dk9000.htm

You can add all kinds of X10 stuff too.

e34
09-17-2004, 10:44 AM
But pretty damn close. If you are in "fear of your life" you can defend yourself. I don't think you can shoot someone in the back just for being on your property though.

If u think your life is in danger and he/she is on your property then u r allowed to shoot, u don't even need to turn on the light to see if he/she is armed. God Bless the AZ Rules.

DallasBill
09-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Motion sensor lights are good, but be cognizant of your neighbors, please! You don't need a 180 degree spread... get 90 as it still throws a lot of light and focus it down where the entrances are.

Many cities -- Dallas included -- have "light pollution" ordinances to prevent people from mounting the equivalent of 777 landing lights that spill into others windows at night. My neighbor shut his neighbor down on the other side of him for doing just that. He wasn't pleased because the company who installed it never told him -- just took the money. He ended up have to replace some mighty expensive halogen bulbs that had only been used 2 nights!

Tiger
09-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Mmm... sniper rifle w/ night vision scope...