PDA

View Full Version : Why is MB puttin the 5.5 AMG Motor in every model?

DaCan23
09-14-2004, 02:50 PM
That 3.2 AMG motor was pretty sweet... how the heck does the 5.5 V-8 Fit in the C Class or better yet the SLK... One high performance motor... a monster at that makes em all pricey,,, Guess BMW needs the V-8 in the M3 now... No way that would fit in the Z4?

bahnstormer
09-14-2004, 03:56 PM
merc has a conspiracy with the tire manufac....
lets put 712 lb-ft of torque in a sedan guys and we'll
sell it to ppl, and then we can put $300 tires on it
every 2 weeks! yeah!

hahah

no but the new 65amg's are sweet!

JohnC
09-15-2004, 12:03 AM
because anything less and they will get whooped. its because their engines are pretty low tech i think. they dont even put out that much power per liter so they build huge engines and then add force induction.

Jon K
09-15-2004, 01:44 PM
That 3.2 AMG motor was pretty sweet... how the heck does the 5.5 V-8 Fit in the C Class or better yet the SLK... One high performance motor... a monster at that makes em all pricey,,, Guess BMW needs the V-8 in the M3 now... No way that would fit in the Z4?

E39 M5 V8 fits in the Z4 fine. Ask Hartge about it.

bjl4776
09-15-2004, 09:15 PM
I think all of the MB engines still use SOHC instead of moving upto DOHC. I don't know if there is a reason for it or what. But I can't wait till DINAN gets there hands on the new M5 and twin turbo it like the e39 M5s. That will be power from hell

ryan roopnarine
09-15-2004, 10:27 PM
because anything less and they will get whooped. its because their engines are pretty low tech i think. they dont even put out that much power per liter so they build huge engines and then add force induction.

i wouldn't necessarily sat that....i'm pretty sure that mercedes no longer has any production engines with only one spark plug per cylinder......even the 4 cyl IIRC have 3 valves so that they can have 2 plugs per cylinder so that according to MB, they can have more complete combustion. the slapping a blower on everything thing cant be explained quite as easily, however....

rockyfeller
09-15-2004, 10:52 PM
I would never doubt MB...They just believe in that old-fashioned american-style displacement=+HP school of thought. Their cars can seriously keep up with the competetion. Their engines aren't that high tech though. They don't need to be and that's why they can easily run 200K miles without a hiccup. The fact is the competition is always offering 6spds and their cars are automatic. Look to be fair, what if we compared an M3 or M5 or M roadster with automatics (BMW dosen't even offer automatics) to a MB counterpart. Yes, who would get their butts whooped? The AMG 5.5 (Ooooh boy! That awesome SL65!!! 704 lbs of torque???) has to be such a fast powerful engine. The other high reverrs have to work hard to beat the AMGs by like 0.2 sec to 60. So MB is used to being a tic slower, so what? They never set out to make the fastest car, they just want to be competitive. Low-tech or not, the engine is a gem and still can be compared to what //M offers. Relax guys, I do love MB but I love BMW more OK? :D

AllanS
09-16-2004, 09:30 AM
They're 3 valve per cylinder.

JohnC
09-17-2004, 01:39 AM
yea they are 3 valves. i was just saying they dont seem to be putting out the horsepower numbers their engine sizes would compared to some of the other guys. they do have a lot of torque though tons of it. and their cars are pretty fuel efficient or atleast my moms 320 is. dont m3s use more gas than corvettes?

AllanS
09-17-2004, 08:16 AM
You're right. Take the s500 for example... 5l engine, but only a little over 300 hp...comparable to the 4.5l engine from BMW. You could compare it to the 400hp m5 v8, but that is a special motor, I suppose.