PDA

View Full Version : Two questions: bluetooth and strange film on window...

CrimsonBrian
09-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey guys,
I have two seperate inquiries for you. First, I just got a Sony Ericsson T637 phone and it has that cool Bluetooth feature. I would like to put a handfree Bluetooth kit in my car so that I can use the phone safely (or at least safer). Any recommendations? Also, does BMW have something that will work with the stereo? I have done some research on the web, but I cant tell the scams from the good deals. I dont really want something that jams into the lighter and looks retarded. :)

Second, I have this film that covers the inside of my windshield. It is really only apparant when it is humid or when the windshield gets a little foggy but it makes it nearly impossible to see out. I ahve tried Windex and had no luck. Anyone else have this problem or know what this stuff is? Thanks!!

Brian

Cab325i/540i
09-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Hey guys,
Second, I have this film that covers the inside of my windshield. It is really only apparant when it is humid or when the windshield gets a little foggy but it makes it nearly impossible to see out. I ahve tried Windex and had no luck. Anyone else have this problem or know what this stuff is? Thanks!!

Brian

I have the same problem in my E30! I have cleaned the windows several times, and each time within a couple of days, the inside "fogs up" again. It makes vision at night very difficult, especially when humid. The only thing I can think of is to continue to clean it several times, it may be slightly improving each time I clean it.

I know the P.O. was a smoker, so I wonder if something from that has coated the inside of the windows. Do you or someone who owned the car previously smoke?

CrimsonBrian
09-14-2004, 11:01 AM
I dont smoke and neither did the previous owner (who bought it new). The problem seems to get worse when I have used the AC for a while and then turn it off. I wonder if the AC stuff is condensing on the windsheild? The filter is less than 1000 miles old so I doubt it is a filter problem.

Cab325i/540i
09-14-2004, 11:32 AM
I dont smoke and neither did the previous owner (who bought it new). The problem seems to get worse when I have used the AC for a while and then turn it off. I wonder if the AC stuff is condensing on the windsheild? The filter is less than 1000 miles old so I doubt it is a filter problem.

I wish I could help you then, cause that would mean I could help me, too! My problem is not related to the A/C, since the A/C in the E30 doesn't really work (blows fuse whenever turned on). I use the fan to blow air on the windshield, though.

If you figure it out, let me know!

Robin-535im
09-14-2004, 11:50 AM
A local (really good) indie told my father in law (who owned a 320i) that it was common for older BMWs to have the rubber and/or plastic out-gas and cover the glass with a film. Looks almost blue-ish? Won't rub off with the back of your hand? I've got the same thing on my 90 535, but it goes away if you attack it enough.

HTH

632 Regal
09-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Same thing here... I have to run the AC so I can see out at night. Does everyone have this option?

smcgowan
09-14-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure about the film question I had the same problem on my ole e30.

The bluetooth issue is a different situation. Do you really want just a car kit? Why just not go with a bluetooth headset instead.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=ps1_1_2_3&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=9941

If you do want the kit this is pretty cool and quick
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=ps1_1_2_3&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10064

I know a little about the Sony Ericsson products. I use to work for Ericsson, and I have the that headset my self and love it :D

Tiger
09-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Oily film? Try this... quarter of a teaspoon of dishwashing soap and a cup of warm water... using paper towel... dip until saturated and wipe window... then use dry paper towel to wipe dry... you are done.

CrimsonBrian
09-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Awesome guys, thanks. I'll try all those suggestions and report back.

CrimsonBrian
09-14-2004, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure about the film question I had the same problem on my ole e30.

The bluetooth issue is a different situation. Do you really want just a car kit? Why just not go with a bluetooth headset instead.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=ps1_1_2_3&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=9941

If you do want the kit this is pretty cool and quick
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=ps1_1_2_3&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10064

I know a little about the Sony Ericsson products. I use to work for Ericsson, and I have the that headset my self and love it :D

I dont really want a headset only because I dont want to have to wear something while driving. The cig lighter one looks like it could work. Are there any that work with the stereo system in the car? Thanks!

smcgowan
09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Try this one then :D

http://www.mphone.co.uk/bluetooth/hcb-30.html

Geoff Hoad
09-15-2004, 12:00 AM
A dash of ammonia also works wonders. Have found that semi-"abrasive" window cleaners like that made by Autoglym in the UK is great for giving the windows a good clean. But only regular cleaning will keep the windows clean. The type of vinlyls used at that time give off some gas which creates the problem.

Paul in NZ
09-15-2004, 01:11 AM
as an "abrasive" glass cleaner.Could it be that you guys have the dreaded heater core leak??.Having said that i have to run the A/C to defog more often than other cars i have had.

Niko G
09-15-2004, 01:26 AM
We disconect the TCU and we make the customer sign a weiver that says they will no longer have SOS or call assist if they want bluetooth, havent heard of anyone using it in an older car. I got my windows tinted not long ago and the guy is one of the best, he said that the best thing to do is to dilute white vinegar and water which ive also heard from my grandmother years ago lol, cant tell you on the mix ratio though

CrimsonBrian
09-15-2004, 09:01 AM
All great posts guys. Between the Windex, ammonia, dish detergent, and Lemon Pledge, my car is going to be quite the corucopia of smells. Good times!

Geoff Hoad
09-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Yep, and the side benefit is that ammonia will sure clean out your sinuses! Cough, choke! :)

Reidal
09-15-2004, 11:38 PM
I'd recommend the Motorola kit which has entertainment mute output.

http://au.motorola.com/au/mobilephones/products/E398/motogear_car_kits.ASP?

Anton CH.
09-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Question, what do you guys use to wash your windows (inside). Once I used some windex stuff that my buddy gave me, that thing fogged up badly. Swtiched back to Armor All and have no fogging problems anymore. The problem is that Windex is not meant for car use.

Paul in NZ
09-16-2004, 02:58 AM
it isnt called windex but it has an ammount of ammonia in it .When you say amor all do you mean amor all glass wipes.

Anton CH.
09-16-2004, 11:54 AM
No, I am not sure if they sell it anymore. 5 years ago I bought a glass cleaner spray bottle of Armor All. Works really good. By the way, if you have tint, don't use Windex, that stuff has ammonia. Armor All uses some different kind of formula.

Tiger
09-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Like I said... best window cleaner I used is diluted dishwashing soap... a nickel sized amount of dishwashing soap and a cup of warm water.