PDA

View Full Version : 94 540i 3 button key help

munchichee
09-13-2004, 12:19 PM
I just bought a 94 540i and the 3 button key doesn't work. Battery is ok so I'm trying to find programming info because it had no books.

I've looked everywhere for days and found the same results indicating the alarm is under the rear seat. It's not. There is the fuse box and if you remove the whole thing there is a box screwed into the metal that the seat clips on to...but that has no button or place for a chip.

Someone help! I know I can't be the only one with this problem. Is it possible this is not an alarm but just keyless? If so how do i program the key itself then?

tim
09-13-2004, 02:31 PM
take the key and hold it right up to the sensor (top front windshield) and make sure it really and truly doesn't work. they tend to lose range in very bright sunlight.

If it really doesn't work, read this post and follow the intructions:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=488&highlight=key+program

DueyT
09-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Munchichee, you may also have an RF (radio frequency) version...mine is RF not IR. There is a procedure in the owner's manual to resynchronize the alarm and remote. I won't try and mention it here since I haven't done it for a while, but it is relatively simple and solved my problems. You also have to do it after each time you change the battery in the remote.

Cheers,
Duey

Tiger
09-13-2004, 06:07 PM
It's in the owner's manual... it tells you how to program it... On page 13a and 13b in the middle of the two pages.

The alarm is right next to the fusebox... look under the carpet area.

The antennae for the alarm unit sucks big time... at some point, we can't disarm our alarm system... I would junk it for aftermarket system.

rockyfeller
09-14-2004, 01:04 AM
This is a famous problem w/o a real fix...I get this same problem at the most unsuspecting times...I noticed it NEVER has a problem arming/disarming in my garage at home. It seems to work well in summer months but gives me more problems in Spring/Fall and more often in open parking lots. Even when I hold the key up against the windshield near the rearview mirror sensor. I try everything until I end up having to "break into" my own car and allow the alarm to cycle through a couple times (while everyone and their mother looks at me like I'm a BMW thief) before I can start/disarm the system. It SUCKS!!!

Tiger
09-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Yep... in the city with lots of RF activity almost rendered our car useless.

Cab325i/540i
09-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Yep... in the city with lots of RF activity almost rendered our car useless.

We've experienced the remote not working very well a few times in the two weeks we've had the car. Doesn't unlocking/locking the door manually with the key activate/deactivate the alarm as well? I was able to open the car with the key after the remote didn't work, and no alarm went off.

Tiger
09-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Strange... if you armed it, hear the chirping... it should have went off and you shouldn't be able to start the car... you can crank but can't start... Otherwise, seems like your alarm is partially disconnected... there are two wiring harness.

Cab325i/540i
09-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Strange... if you armed it, hear the chirping... it should have went off and you shouldn't be able to start the car... you can crank but can't start... Otherwise, seems like your alarm is partially disconnected... there are two wiring harness.

Hmm. Maybe we've only locked it with the key and then it opened with the remote? I don't remember exactly what has happened so far with this car. It's only been a couple of weeks, so we'll learn how it works as time goes on.

Tiger
09-14-2004, 10:51 AM
To arm, you have to push lock twice... then you will see light flashes and chirps.

Cab325i/540i
09-14-2004, 10:56 AM
To arm, you have to push lock twice... then you will see light flashes and chirps.

Oh. I sort of wondered why sometimes it chirps and sometimes it doesn't.

donalejo
09-14-2004, 08:25 PM
I just bought a 94 540i and the 3 button key doesn't work. Battery is ok so I'm trying to find programming info because it had no books.

I've looked everywhere for days and found the same results indicating the alarm is under the rear seat. It's not. There is the fuse box and if you remove the whole thing there is a box screwed into the metal that the seat clips on to...but that has no button or place for a chip.

Someone help! I know I can't be the only one with this problem. Is it possible this is not an alarm but just keyless? If so how do i program the key itself then?

simon-york
09-15-2004, 06:11 AM
I often find my E34 unwilling to lock/unlock in some areas - doubtless where there is a lot of RF activity, my alarm is an early type with just one button on the remote. I have moved around the car sometimes desperate to get it to unset - and knowing that although the keys will open the door, the alarm will sound as soon as you open it.

A few times I have resorted to something I once heard on a train - a father told his little girl that if your remote battery was failing and too weak to turn off the alarm you could point it at your head instead (yes, really!) and your head would amplify the tiny signal from the remote.

This is one of the daftest things I have ever heard I have to admit. Funny thing is, it works. I promise you, on a number of occasions I have resorted to it and it hasn't failed yet!

Anyone have any ideas why?

Simon Daubeney, York, England
1989 530i SE m, 155,000 miles Bilsteins, 17" Alpinas.

Cab325i/540i
09-15-2004, 06:21 AM

Okay, we unlocked the car with the key yesterday, and the chirps sounded to turn the alarm off, just like when we use the remote. I guess that's not what usually happens?