PDA

View Full Version : 530 no start

jason952
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi guys,
I was helping a friend get to the bottom of a no start before we give up and tow it in.

94 530, 107K miles, orig motor as far as I can tell. Runs great, but a bit of a rough idle. been running fine for the 2 months he's had it though. revs smoothly. However, it quit in the driveway and will now only crank over, but not start or even catch.

Used bentley to figure out there is fuel at the rail and voltage at the coils. spark plug wires and coils all had resistance in spec. dropped in new plugs while we were there. Still no start.

The crank sensor resistance is about 540 ohms. The book calls for 1280 or so in the M50/60, BUT, the M20/30 spec is 540. Is that a typo in the Bentley or should I think about replacing that sensor? thanks,

jason

I am gonna get him to clean it also.

632 Regal
09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Have you have heard about Nikasil? Maybe you should have a compression and leakdown test done if EVERYTHING is good.

jason952
09-13-2004, 03:20 PM
I hope that's not the cause. we shall see. I wouldn't expect such a rapid change to non-running if that were the case, I would guess the whole nikasil thing is a more slowly developing problem, but we shall see. Hope that is not it. The old plugs looked good, too. thanks for any more suggestions.

632 Regal
09-13-2004, 04:00 PM
and fuel? You cant see the spark and dont know if the injectors are spitting. I will guess it is something stupid as they usually are. There is plenty of room to pull a coil and boot so that you can put a plug on it and see if it sparks which is a start for you. Are there any codes stored??