PDA

View Full Version : Strangest of the Strange

Longhorn J
09-12-2004, 10:25 PM
So My 1990 525ia leaked a a large (dinner plate+) size puddle on the garage floor. I looked at the fluid, and found that it was red and relatively non-viscous. The puddle was under the transmission. So i take it in to my independant and he says though he found where it leaked from (transmission seals), he says it looked more like a seap, AND the trans fluid level was normal. So they drive it around for a couple more days without reproducing the leak. I take it home and a couple weeks later, another big puddle, and a normal level of fluid. any other fluids that might be red and be able to leak from that location?

Thanks,
Jason

Dan in NZ
09-12-2004, 11:15 PM
The power steering also uses ATF, mine leaks from just foward of the transmission.

Dick Schneiders
09-13-2004, 06:06 AM
the fluid is. Many of our E34's use ATF in the power steering system, and if the color is red, then it could be coming from a leak in that system. If not, then the leak is certainly from the tranny somewhere.

So My 1990 525ia leaked a a large (dinner plate+) size puddle on the garage floor. I looked at the fluid, and found that it was red and relatively non-viscous. The puddle was under the transmission. So i take it in to my independant and he says though he found where it leaked from (transmission seals), he says it looked more like a seap, AND the trans fluid level was normal. So they drive it around for a couple more days without reproducing the leak. I take it home and a couple weeks later, another big puddle, and a normal level of fluid. any other fluids that might be red and be able to leak from that location?

Thanks,
Jason