PDA

View Full Version : M50 non vanos overheating problem

Bruno
09-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Weird overheating, I even pulled the thermostat and changed the waterpump, bleed the circuit.
If the car is idling, no problem, the electrical fan comes on and the needle is at 12H00.

As soon as I hit the track or drive teh car hard, the car starts overheating until the coolant boils and overflows... from somewhere gushing fluid everywhere...

Major engine problem? Time to build a dedicated race car?

Worse was teh loss of power as soon as I hit the straight line in 4th gear, as soon as I press the accelerator fully, the car started to overheat bad...

The top hose was very hot and very tight.

Thanks.

winfred
09-11-2004, 11:16 PM
id run a leak down test while watching the coolent for change in level or bubbles, you may be passing a little air and that's air locking the thermostat, best case head gasket, worst, head's cracked, m50s crack between the valves and between a head bolt hole and chamber

Bruno
09-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Sweet... time to build up power....
I will build a leak down tester then I will try it. I will also do a compression test.

Time to find some cams, headers, and hidden power on the M50. Also time to cure all the oil leaks all around the engine... really spraying around since I changed with Mobile 1.

Thanks Winfred, I will try that. I might tackle the job this winter, but I will need some special tools.

winfred
09-12-2004, 09:30 AM
bmp has a deal listed on euro m3 cams $700
http://www.bmpdesign.com/products/bimmer_bargins/index.shtml#e36

Sweet... time to build up power....
I will build a leak down tester then I will try it. I will also do a compression test.

Time to find some cams, headers, and hidden power on the M50. Also time to cure all the oil leaks all around the engine... really spraying around since I changed with Mobile 1.

Thanks Winfred, I will try that. I might tackle the job this winter, but I will need some special tools.

ryan roopnarine
09-12-2004, 09:40 AM
sorry to hear about your own personal car, bruno. princess auto usually has leakdown testers for between $50-60 CDN dollars, which might be cheaper than piecing one together or buying one from the US.

Bruno
09-13-2004, 09:04 AM
bmp has a deal listed on euro m3 cams $700
http://www.bmpdesign.com/products/bimmer_bargins/index.shtml#e36

My car being a non vanos, I cannot use the M3 cams... But I will buy some new cams for it and modify the head... I just have to make sure that the bottom end is ok.

winfred
09-13-2004, 09:17 AM
stick a vanos unit on it

My car being a non vanos, I cannot use the M3 cams... But I will buy some new cams for it and modify the head... I just have to make sure that the bottom end is ok.

Bruno
09-13-2004, 07:27 PM
stick a vanos unit on it

I have to read the BMW club racing rules to see if I am allowed to do so.

But I am strongly tempted to install a 2.8 block.... I think I will stay in the same class.