PDA

View Full Version : Can i mix coolant colours?

PABLO
09-11-2004, 05:49 PM
hy, i have in my 1989 520i the green coolant. I asked a mechanic if i could mix it with the blue one and he said there was no problem so i did it. But i read today in another forum that i should'nt mix them. What should i do?
Thanks

Jr ///M5
09-11-2004, 07:54 PM
To quote someone, like Marty Feldman, "What's your favorite color?".........

Pink.....No!........BLUE!!! Yaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh..........

Flush the stuff and use the blue.....

Jr

632 Regal
09-12-2004, 11:49 AM
you should flush it out every 2 years if you want to be proper about it. If you just want to know if you can mix it as a temporary measure I dont think it will turn to sludge or anything but the orange stuff will.

dave b
09-12-2004, 06:34 PM
you should flush it out every 2 years if you want to be proper about it. If you just want to know if you can mix it as a temporary measure I dont think it will turn to sludge or anything but the orange stuff will.
I have mixed with no negative results, but I agree that you should flush and know for sure what you have in there.

I've mixed the Benz + BMW before (orange + blue) with no problems, but I would only use the good stuff.

ryan roopnarine
09-12-2004, 06:39 PM
I have mixed with no negative results, but I agree that you should flush and know for sure what you have in there.

I've mixed the Benz + BMW before (orange + blue) with no problems, but I would only use the good stuff.

orange benz isn't dexcool, it's somewhat similar to the bmw. dexcool orange will gunk if mixed with anything else.

dave b
09-12-2004, 09:25 PM
I got the benz stuff from BMA before they sold the BMW blue. It's essentially the same as the BMW stuff. I wouldn't touch any of the other coolants though...