PDA

View Full Version : Remove oil pan?

Mr. BILL
09-09-2004, 06:47 PM
I have the head off my M20. I am taking my time and cleaning everything up as it was very greasy fom leaky valve covers. I was wondering since I'll be putting on a new head, should I take the oil pan off and clean it all up inside.

Is it woth the effort? How hard is it to do? My Bentleys makes it sound fairly simple. It doesn't mention having to raise the engine. Is that right?

Also, short of bead blasting, is there something that will clean parts like the intake, T-stat housing ect?

Thanks

winfred
09-09-2004, 08:01 PM
on the m20 you gotta drop the oil pump into the pan to get room to get the pan out, it's held on with 3 13mm bolts and the driveshaft is just stuck in the hole. you unbolt the dipstick and pull it out of the pan. a wire wheel does a ok job of cleaning the t-stat housing of it's crustyness

Mr. BILL
09-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Thanks again winfred! So, you DON"T have to raise the engine? Is this something you would do if it were your car?

winfred
09-10-2004, 08:20 AM
it may a inch or two for convence, not really unless it dumped coolent into the oil or something like that

Thanks again winfred! So, you DON"T have to raise the engine? Is this something you would do if it were your car?

Mr. BILL
09-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks. No coolant, I just thought it would be good to clean everything up inside and out. I think I'll leave well enough alone.

winfred
09-10-2004, 10:00 AM
good plan

I think I'll leave well enough alone.

winfred
09-10-2004, 10:01 AM
if it aint broke keep fixing till it is ;)