PDA

View Full Version : EBay Euro M5 test drive today...

icm5er
09-09-2004, 04:26 PM
So I was able to see the Euro M5 that is for sale on e-bay today, incidentally, it is a 1994 model, not 1995 as advertised.
Avus Blue Euro M5 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6131&item=2488976990&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)
I could go on and on about the experience, but to try and keep this post short and sweet, I will say that the test drive was very pleasurable and just being near the car was a good feeling. It is not very often you get to check-out any E34 M5, let alone a Euro version and in rare Avus Blau to boot. It is my second test drive of a E34 Euro version, this one being in better condition that the first one I test drove 2 years ago.

The car was strong, it ran good considering it has been sitting for over one year not being driven much. I waited until the oil temp was appropriate and tried my best to get it to speed on the crowded short streets of Brooklyn. The clutch action was very good but much lighter feel than my 89 535iM or my 91 M5. The car looked great in the Avus Blau with the wide grill and euro head lights, the interior was full leather except head liner, all Black.

What was disappointing is that the car has not been cared for the way it deserves. No maintenance records are available, although most of the original manuals are with the car. The interior, although not broken or torn, was obviously not kept clean, and is in need of leather maintenance. The door sills did not have the motorsport sill trim. The steering wheel was the motorsport wheel with tri-color stitching and thumb-stops. The climate controls were euro version. The exterior was worked on in areas, re-sprayed in some areas, the poor paint prep was evident. The car had crappy aftermarket wheels, not the M Parallels it should have. The engine compartment was very dirty and disappointing, the fluid levels were low and not OE coolant. Oil was very dirty, power steering/EDC fluid was very low, perhaps indicating rear shocks leak. The radio, A/C, windows, and all other electronics seemed to work fine. Trunk cargo area was dirty. Spare tire was M System II style. Brakes and rotors were very rusty and fronts did not look like floating style rotors for this year car.

Despite all this, the ride home left me thinking of how I could explain to the wifey, how it is clearly rational and makes perfect sense to own a third E34, and a second M5.

Incidentally, there was a second M5 Euro, a 1995 in grey exterior color with motorsport interior cloth and door panels and charcoal buffalo suede leather sides on the seats and console, etc. It had the Morotsport trim on the door sills but the steering wheel, although tri-color stitching, did not have the thumb stops. Climate controls were american version. I should have driven that one too but I was to mezmerized by the Avus M5 and did not think of it until much later.

If anyone is interested in the car, e-mail me for details.

bahnstormer
09-09-2004, 04:38 PM
thank you very much!
i wanted to contact the seller, but i know now
that its not worth it