PDA

View Full Version : hey guys, question...

bimmerd00d
09-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Why does my E34 have to fall apart? I mean, it does have 200k on it.....and it drives rather well i might add. There are about 10 little electrical gremlins though. Lets start a list, what do all of you have wrong aside from the driveline?

1) none of my windows work correctly, rears dont move anymore
2) passenger lock does not move on its own
3) OBC stopped reading all speed related functions
4) Inst. cluster readout only reads error functions, can't scroll through OBC things anymore
5) Low beam error (HIDs) :D
6) seat twist, which fixed itself surprisingly
7) heater makes the car overheat (heater core job on the way, oh how fun)
8) independent HVAC doesn't work, it's full cold or full hot, all the time
9) sunroof switch has a mind of its own
10) developed a real bad miss at 5k rpm

I dont wanna give up on her, but this is getting expensive! I know most of these are little things, but they're little things that annoy me. I guess you could say it has character :p

just turned 200k, 93 525i/5 M50tu

Mr Project
09-09-2004, 10:17 AM

Shifter is sloppy.
Just recently, if you're hard on it and then sit for a while the temp goes just past 1/2....I think it's the electric aux fan not coming on.
Can't scroll OBC functions on dash due to phone wiring not fixed.

Umm... I think that's it. I've done a lot of work since I bought it.

G Feller
09-09-2004, 10:27 AM
I was raised Catholic, so a little confession is always fun:

1) Check Engine light still on due to right O2 sensor in need of replacement (this is happening very soon)
2) RR passenger lock raises sporadically and never goes down automatically
3) Stil need to replace power steering hose (stopped leaking due to warm summer temps, I suppose)
4) Need to do seat cable fix on driver seat - headrest will not go up and down

I think I'm forgetting something but will add it later.

what do all of you have wrong aside from the driveline?

Jon K
09-09-2004, 10:34 AM
1) BRAKE LIGHT CIRCUIT
2) PARKING LIGHT error (city lights, parking light delete)
3) No LOW BEAM ERROR (HIDS :D )
4) Rock chips
5) center bearing
6) shimmy
7) Sometimes after 10 or 20 hibernations my WinXP Pro on the CarPC gets sluggish :)

bahnstormer
09-09-2004, 10:43 AM
check the switches for soda and crap, check the rear motors
the lock cylinder is busted, this is pricey
replace the speed senor?
4) Inst. cluster readout only reads error functions, can't scroll through OBC things anymore
that sucks
5) Low beam error (HIDs)
who cares?
cool!
that sucks too
oh man
clean it? or replace it? its really cheap...
clean plugs? check fuel pressure?

or just buy a 535i. mine is 100% at 153,000miles
well, i lied, yesterday the brake light bulb went out =[

Jon K
09-09-2004, 10:51 AM
replace the speed senor?
that sucks
5) Low beam error (HIDs)
who cares?
cool!
that sucks too
oh man

what would buying a 535i resolve? Brandons problems aren't related to the motor (the misfire is prob coils or plugs or something), but rather to the E34 chassis and electrics. I don't think people are looking for answers to problems, just listing them...

haha PS Martin, where'd you get your UUS SSK? :p

bimmerd00d
09-09-2004, 10:55 AM
replace the speed senor?
that sucks
5) Low beam error (HIDs)
who cares?
cool!
that sucks too
oh man

Haha, i know how to fix 90% of those problems, it's a financial issue mostly. Jon was right, i was just trying to compare my gremlins to everyone else's. :D

winfred
09-09-2004, 12:22 PM
if theres a error message the obc is locked out (for some reason, so if you're low on bug juice you got nothing else but the bug warning)

**** paint
locks need to be pushed twice (don't have time to track down and it's a weird one, been like that 2.7 years i just elbow them down as i am puling into a parking space so i only need to hit the keyless once)
need to clean rheostat on back of blower switch as of last week

rear defroster has never worked due to po installed tint
reverse lights are dead due to tit being broken inside of tranny that trips the switch
fugging right fog light is broken (lasted all of a week and a half after being replaced)
need to replace the sunroof motor due to worn out clutch, pops up but don't slide back
need to install ether e30 m3 suspension or find wheels to fit over 98 m-coupe suspension that i like and install that, because i need tires and am not buying 14"s

Haha, i know how to fix 90% of those problems, it's a financial issue mostly. Jon was right, i was just trying to compare my gremlins to everyone else's. :D

632 Regal
09-09-2004, 12:44 PM
F/Fog light warning
drivers lock dont raise with key but does from pass side, works tho
windshield fogs in rain unless AC is on, no antifreeze smell
carpert needs vacumming
:D

winfred
09-09-2004, 12:52 PM
lotsa tree sap and bird **** on the 535 as i've stopped washing it due to lack of paint, fortunatly it rains often

F/Fog light warning
drivers lock dont raise with key but does from pass side, works tho
windshield fogs in rain unless AC is on, no antifreeze smell
carpert needs vacumming
:D

wengenstein
09-09-2004, 01:22 PM
1) Area on driver'e seat left bolster worn through

2) To say the shifter is sloppy is an understatement

3) Kidney grills are hanging on for dear life

4) RT side of front bumper is sagging (Due to busted part#s 51111944545 and 51111944551 (Anyone know where I can find some of these lesser-in-demand type parts, i.e., stuff that doesn't turn up on BMA? Anyone ever ordered from PelicanParts.com?))

5) Ugly ding on rear side of trunk lid

6) And I gotta get some of those plug/rivet type things to keep the floormats in place :)

kjbcpa
09-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Well, there is nothing wrong with my 1990 at about 150K.

Unfortunately, it's taken about $2,000 a year maintenance (3 years now), parked mostly in the garage, and driven maybe 8,000 miles each year. (Don't do the math, it's not pretty)

But, I still enjoy it immensely and justify the expenditure as much less than insurance, tags, and carrying costs of a newer one. And, I believe all expected repairs at this age are now done (hopefully) (before you all skewer me, it is my "go to see clients" car and the repairs are tax deductible).

Elekta
09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Is this where we register auto complaints?

Recently changed oil, brake light switch, front end alignment and upper rear shock mount. Right front door brake. Didn't have a second to do any of these and my wrenching mentor and buddy was out of town so to the indy for all.

Oil was needed at 10k km Castrol 5/50 syn. Brake lights sometimes stayed on; Car had slight pull to the left and didn't want to ruin brand new Michelin XGT's; Had thunk in rear right couldn't diagnose, and the napagator was always complaining about door creak getting in and out.

Thunk turned out to be worn upper rear shock mount, but replaced both sides, an easier fix on the touring (less interior removal difficulty) GREAT FIX, couldn't be happier with quieter ride and better deep cornering on my favorite exit ramp (no rear squat and jump on a little bump in the apex 70mph > 40mph left turn) $264 included can of $18 CHF11S; dog bones were fine.

Door brake had an incorrect fastener. put in proper pin and tightened up $22 GREAT FIX

Brake switch (shoulda done myself $66 for labor, $20.72 for part) PIECE OF MIND FIX

$88 wheel alignment, check and adjust front toe-in and found LF wheel camber is slightly positive, probably a bent strut or spindle from PO hitting a chuck hole or something. NOT RESOLVED FIX (Any clues on what to do first???? Replace strut, strut and spindle?) THIS IS MY BLACK HOLE UNKNOWN, and now I can't drive without letting go of the wheel to see if it will drift left. I am constantly trying to test steering wheel pressure on left and right turns...this fix is way up in MY DOME. it's replaced my anal listening for the right rear clunk...anyone else this fixated? :(

Needed badly: Belts cracking badly, signs of leakage of lower radiator hose and possible T-Stat housing. Bought the hose and clamps, and hoping to do this one on my own. Need to go by stealer to get blue juice. Anything I should do in a preventative maintenance here?

<glad to get that off my chest; bill was $700 and change>

<oh, and wifey wants to sell 535iA and get a new car> 1992 narrow grill, 103k, mint mechanically, nicely swirled and dinged black exterior.

JonE
09-09-2004, 01:51 PM
535=1.outside temp sensor belches very occasionally giving very low temp readings. I fixed this once and too lazy right now to replace/fix the darn thing.
2.While on cruise control the thing, again very occasionally, surges/accelerates briefly then settles back in. Dunno what's wrong with that.
3. Driver's side motor mount looks just about done, no symptoms yet, and passenger's side mount looks perfect. Go figure.
4. painted front grill surround rusting from all the pebble dings. Need to figure out how to get it off and replace/refurb.
5. Exhaust rusty and a bit louder than it should be. Hope it holds out!
Love the E34 car, though!
325iC=1. Outside temp. sensor gone, I think it is the more expensive one, and the wiring is cut short.
2. Bolster hole in leather driver's side seat. I am refurbing those seats right now with Leatherique products.
3. Broken front sway bar soft bushing mount. Clunks a bit going over bumps and may be why it pulls to the left a bit.
4. No floor mat anchors either!
5. Starts to overheat in traffic, probably a bad fan clutch.
6. Brake light warning comes on very occasionally. Loose connection to bulb?
7. Oh, yah, during good rains the darn convertible top will leak at the front corners, near the connection to the windshield. Need a new gasket? I have no idea.
8. Waiting for Mark D. to make a EAT chip for the -380 DME.
That's enough for now. Ugly reminder of things still needing fixing.

632 Regal
09-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Almost looks like K-mart. anyone else have a guess?

AllanS
09-09-2004, 03:01 PM
132k... a light in my instrument cluster is out, and my headrest doesn't go up/down.... other than that, surprisingly, everything actually works like it should. I have the bulbs for the IC laying around somewhere but I haven't gotten around to putting them in. I also know how to fix the headrest (did it before, cables out), but i'm just too lazy.

Elekta
09-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Almost looks like K-mart. anyone else have a guess?

It's the sky coming thru some tree branches...actually it's shiny zymol and a 1gb file reduced to 250k on photobucket that made it weird.

Anyone care to tackle my LF strut issue? Should I get a sach's kit and do both sides, or just replace strut and spindle on the left side?

[edit: wasn't me was it]

Dan in NZ
09-09-2004, 04:26 PM
1. All four shocks soft
2. Rear sags to the right
3. Outside temp sensor missing
4. Inspection II due soon
5. Paint wearing thin at top edge of C-pillar.
6. Poor previous repair of boot lid
7. Door panel inserts peeling off

The honeymoon is over... Even after I've sold my kidney to replace shocks and do Insp II, it'll still be a dog.

632 Regal
09-09-2004, 04:45 PM
It's the sky coming thru some tree branches...actually it's shiny zymol and a 1gb file reduced to 250k on photobucket that made it weird.

Anyone care to tackle my LF strut issue? Should I get a sach's kit and do both sides, or just replace strut and spindle on the left side?

[edit: wasn't me was it]

e34
09-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Door behind the driver will not open.

Suede
09-09-2004, 06:07 PM
1. Front Roundel white paint was coming off. Scraped the rest and am now running out of spec metallic and blue.

2. Some wind noise from torn driver's door seal.

3. Rear sway bushings are suspect.

4. Indy says motor mounts have lost their zip. Not sure if this is worth doing or not.

5. State of California wants a smog test and some registration money.

Suede

632 Regal
09-09-2004, 06:16 PM
with major and minor problems that are not disclosed. You never see an ad that says door lock dont work, windows dont roll etc etc...

This I think is an enlightening post here!

Crewblunts
09-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Lets see...

1)shimmy (same as everyone else)
2)Cracked Fog Light
3)The colored sticker or whatever it is in the HVAC control (passenger side) temp selector is torn and an annoying white light shines through.
4)The front ashtray closes when it wnats to.
5)The back doors both need new hinges.
6)The glue for the leather trim on the left rear door is coming off.
7)The window fogs (with coolant smell)
8)When I start the car it drops the RPMs no matter how much i step on the gas when I first put it in gear and then is perfectly fine from then on out

That's About it

Phil V

winfred
09-09-2004, 07:47 PM
lock servo's probably frozen, if you can't move the lock knob that's it. to get to it without destroying the door panel i break the outter door handle trim off and reach through the hole and cut the white plastic end off of the black plastic servo, you can now unlock the door open and remove the door panel to replace the servo. the pot metal door handle trim is easyer and cheeper to replace then the door panel if you kill it while trying to remove the panel with the door closed

Door behind the driver will not open.

RobPatt
09-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Need suspension all over. ANNOYING RATTLE / VIBRATION from front of engine. Want cam/chip/supercharger/5spd/LSD/30mpg... the usual contradictions....

SO - I hate it because I want a perfectly operational car...that's paid for....But when I look at it, I love it.....And when I drive it..... around town.... it really nerves me.....But when I'm on the highway, I love it again.

One day I'm ready to put a couple grand into it, the next I realize it's only getting older, lower in value, one decent fender bender and the insurance buys it for $4K. No economic sense. But a lot more than big $$ for something new! ARUGH!!! [I] :D

Why does my E34 have to fall apart? I mean, it does have 200k on it.....and it drives rather well i might add. There are about 10 little electrical gremlins though. Lets start a list, what do all of you have wrong aside from the driveline?

5) Low beam error (HIDs) :D

I dont wanna give up on her, but this is getting expensive! I know most of these are little things, but they're little things that annoy me. I guess you could say it has character :p

just turned 200k, 93 525i/5 M50tu

hlenoble
09-10-2004, 08:55 AM
I have bought 3 e34s on ebay to date - '95 530i with 65K miles, '89 535iA with 165K, '90 535i with 137K. If you ask the right SPECIFIC questions you can buy a car without the problems we are speaking about. I always ask about ALL of the power "options" and I have been happy with all 3 cars.

Now, for the "gremlins":

1. Replaced front suspension on all 3 cars due to strong shimmy on hard braking.

2. Passenger front seat twisted on the '89 after 6 months. Fairly simple fix.

3. Pain in the neck to replace side marker light bulbs - see recent post.

4. Slight vibration in '90 that I believe is drive shaft related

5. Small oil leak in '90 that I have to determine the origins of

Based on my experience the e34s are very well built and are very reliable. These cars are tight and mostly rattle free after 150K+ miles. In my humble estimation the e34 offers a terrific value, as you can buy a "driver's luxury car" for a low price. I also happen to like the way they look...

Jason
09-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Washer fluid sensor
reconnect washer nozzles
clutch switch
cant scroll through dash functions
need to re-ground my head unit
head liner needs to get done

BobbyB
09-10-2004, 11:45 AM
On my 95 525ia...

1) Currently leaking oil...(fix soon)
2) Rear passenger windows rarely open
3) Floormats are worn and torn
4) Automatic gear indicator plastic piece missing
5) Coolant level message for no reason
6) More dents than I have fingers

At least I got my 17" Breytons finally on! :D

Sweetwater
09-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Washer fluid sensor
reconnect washer nozzles
clutch switch
cant scroll through dash functions
need to re-ground my head unit
head liner needs to get done

This one is making me laugh....My '94 CS100 quatro has an ongoing washer fluid error. It requires inserting a plastic tube into the reservoir and blowing enough bubbles to unstick the float. 1-2 times a week that float slowly drifts down and sets off the sensor again. Hehe.

bill g
09-11-2004, 03:55 AM
My car has only 68000 miles. Since I have owned it (18 months) I have had to -

Replace seized steering lock.
Repair damaged wiring in boot (trunk) where fatigue breaks occurred where the wiring loom flexs when lid is opened.
Other than that only routine maintenance - all electrics work OK.

A couple of problems developing -
Some diff noise at low to medium speeds - sounds like pinion bearings, not bad enough to worry too much yet.
Cooling system holds pressure for a long time sometimes after cooling down - I suspect the well known head gasket problem is developing, although seems a bit early at this mileage.

Paul in NZ
09-11-2004, 05:02 AM
well we are talking some old cars guys!.Mine has a problrm with the idle,i suspect tps or dirty throttle body,the headlight washers have never worked(in the time i have had the car) the rr fog light(boot hinge wire),and the intensive clean system doesnt work,hmmm all electrical?????Recent repairs and maintenance new battery and brake light bulb.

Reidal
09-11-2004, 10:05 AM
In 4 months of ownership (from the beginning).

1) Bent rim (as sold) causing a shimmy at 100kph.
2) Brake, side light, dip beam warning when the headlights went on.
3) Bad battery.
4) Low coolant level warning but level ok.
5) Wheel alighment causing bad tyre wear.
6) Oil Pump fell off causing #7)
7) Cam chain tensioner failure causing stretched chain and broken guide.
8) LH engine mount split.
9) Top radiator hose was swollen.
10) Wiper arms touched the bonnet when operating.
11) Fan belt idler pully bearing failure.
12) Front castor mounts are split.
13) Driveshaft rubber coupling is cracked.
14) The steering wheel moved 1/8th inch left and right.
15) and finally (for now) the wiper rubbers are worn

I'm upto #11 as of this morning. ;)