PDA

View Full Version : Alignment and Steering help needed??

western99
09-08-2004, 02:59 PM
So here is my situation. 1995 525 ia

Back in May I changed my upper and lower control arms (lemforders with 750 bushings). After that job, when I took the car in to the stealer to get an alignment, I needed to get the tie rods done since they were seized. After the dealer installed the tie rods and did the alignment, I noticed that the car drove somewhat to the left, in particular under breaking. So I took it back to them and they made some minor improvements to the situation, but not much more. The car is still pulling to the left, in particular under heavy breaking.

2 weeks ago I got some new wheels and rubber (style 66's) and got another wheel alignment done. It came out a little better but still going to the left. I am lost. What could it be? Could it be the steering box? Maybe it is too tight. Any insight would be appreciated. I hate driving the car like this. I love this car, but having it drive like this is killing me. HELP!

Brian
95 525ia
197,000kms

Adnan
09-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi,

Your mention of pulling under braking may be a clue. It almost sounds like one of the control arms, possibly the thrust arm, is incorrectly installed. Can't imagine what could cause that as they fit in a pretty specific way but it's worth checking.

What happens if the bushing was pressed in wrong, either because it was not rotationally oriented or because it's off-center in the arm?

Also, did you torque the bushing bolts down with the car level on the ground? If not, is it possible that the pre-stressing is doing strange things?

Lastly, could you have a dragging brake on one side that causes the steady state pull as well as pulling when braking? A bad brake hose that isn't allowing the fluid to return well enough? Just a coincidence with the tie-rod repair.

Regards,
Adnan

western99
09-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Adnan, you raise some good points, but I had the upper and lower control arms installed by Bruno. He has done this job many times. Also we did torque the car while it was on the ground. Nevertheless I will check the bushings. As for the brakes, as far as I am aware, the brakes are fine. But I will check as well. This is just driving me nuts. Thanks for your thoughts on the issue.

Brian

Hi,

Your mention of pulling under braking may be a clue. It almost sounds like one of the control arms, possibly the thrust arm, is incorrectly installed. Can't imagine what could cause that as they fit in a pretty specific way but it's worth checking.

What happens if the bushing was pressed in wrong, either because it was not rotationally oriented or because it's off-center in the arm?

Also, did you torque the bushing bolts down with the car level on the ground? If not, is it possible that the pre-stressing is doing strange things?

Lastly, could you have a dragging brake on one side that causes the steady state pull as well as pulling when braking? A bad brake hose that isn't allowing the fluid to return well enough? Just a coincidence with the tie-rod repair.

Regards,
Adnan

Crewblunts
09-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I had the same pulling under braking to one side and one of my calipers was dragging. I replaced the calipers...low and behold it was great! So i would recommend the same as Adnan check your brakes.

Hope this helps,

Phil V

George M
09-08-2004, 06:30 PM
If the car tracks and steers normally without braking then likely your issue is brake related. A steering box set too tight will effect returnability or friction against the caster in your steering that causes the steering to center itself...something to consider but not specific to your issue as a tight steering box would not bias to either particular side under braking. Again...if the car steers and tracks properly with the exception to braking and braking causes the car to pull, then likely you have a sticky caliper and have uneven braking X-car which will induce your pulling condition.
HTH,
George