PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tire suggestions?

Cab325i/540i
09-08-2004, 12:19 PM
My wife is now driving the 95 540i, and I'm going to be buying snow tires for it for this winter (we live outside of Boston). She's never had a RWD car, nor anything even remotely close to this much power. It's also a bigger car than she's used to. So she's a little nervous about driving this car in the snow, and I believe in having the right shoes on the car for the snow anyway. Anyway, I have the Blizzak WS-50 snows for my E30, and I just loved them in the snow, but not so much when it wasn't snowing. On my car, I don't mind changing over to the all-seasons when it hasn't snowed in a while and won't for a while, but I'd rather not do that for both cars all the time.

Tire Rack has a couple different recommended tires in 225/60-15, the WS-50 and Pirelli Winter 210 Snow Sport. They also have several different brands in an 205/65-15 (WS-50, Dunlop Graspic DS-2, Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2, and Michelin X-Ice). I think I'm leaning towards the WS-50, just because I have had good experience in the snow with those on the E30, but the E34 is a different animal.

Anyone have good/bad experiences to relate with any of the listed tires? Should I go down to a 205 width for snows, or is 225 a good snow size for this car?

Thanks.

Mr Project
09-08-2004, 12:39 PM
I have Michelin Arctic Alpin Sports for the Jetta. They were actually pretty nice in the dry/wet, and good in the snow. Not as good as Blizzaks in the snow, but so much better in the dry that I would have chosen them again.

I've driven on Blizzaks once or twice, and I have a cheapo set of Firestone Winterfires that I ran on the RX-7. I've never tried any of the others....

JonE
09-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Blizzak's work great on my 535i here in Minnesota. Not sure I'd consider anything else now that I've tried them. I always add at least one or two 40lb. bags of rock salt in the trunk as well. I think the size is the usual 225 15 in.

632 Regal
09-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Im running the Conti-Extream tractions, year round tires look pretty aggressive for winter.

Tiger
09-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Trust me... Nokian Hakkapelita is what you want.

632 Regal
09-08-2004, 02:36 PM

Cab325i/540i
09-08-2004, 02:39 PM

I've heard that brand before, but not seen them for sale on Tire Rack, which is where I usually buy tires. Do you have a source for them, where I could check them out?

Thanks for your response.

BTW, my wife only has about a 3-mile commute, and my ice racing will be done in my E30. So she won't have to be climbing the Swiss Alps in this car in the winter!

DaCan23
09-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Ditto - I have Michelin Pilot Artic Alpins and love them... Blizzaks can be a little squirrly if ya get a warm winter day...

jjg43
09-08-2004, 03:26 PM
My wife is now driving the 95 540i, and I'm going to be buying snow tires for it for this winter (we live outside of Boston). She's never had a RWD car, nor anything even remotely close to this much power. It's also a bigger car than she's used to. So she's a little nervous about driving this car in the snow, and I believe in having the right shoes on the car for the snow anyway. Anyway, I have the Blizzak WS-50 snows for my E30, and I just loved them in the snow, but not so much when it wasn't snowing. On my car, I don't mind changing over to the all-seasons when it hasn't snowed in a while and won't for a while, but I'd rather not do that for both cars all the time.

Tire Rack has a couple different recommended tires in 225/60-15, the WS-50 and Pirelli Winter 210 Snow Sport. They also have several different brands in an 205/65-15 (WS-50, Dunlop Graspic DS-2, Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2, and Michelin X-Ice). I think I'm leaning towards the WS-50, just because I have had good experience in the snow with those on the E30, but the E34 is a different animal.

Anyone have good/bad experiences to relate with any of the listed tires? Should I go down to a 205 width for snows, or is 225 a good snow size for this car?

Thanks.

Tiger
09-08-2004, 04:44 PM
3 miles is still 3 miles of possible sliding and stopping... There should be a local dealer near you... Usually the stores for the Nokians are at the area of states where extreme winter is experienced.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/index.html

I buy my tires from Tire Racks too... but for snow tires... I will go anywhere to buy Nokian.

Ice Racing? Then how come you don't know about Nokian... I would say majority of ice racing is done with Nokian Hakka tires.

rockyfeller
09-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Blizzaks are best overall. I used to deal a lot with tires and I know most people swear by them. You'll be flying through snow, feeling confident as if it were a summer day past 4wd cars. OK maybe that was an exaggeration, but they're good. Michelin are OK but more pricey and just can't compete with the Blizzzaks. If you want higher performance versions they're available. I have heard those Nokia Hakkenawhatevers are great too but they may be too extreme/aggresive for most people south of Alaska. No matter what, though our cars are RWD I highly recommend snow tires at all 4 corners!

Garlic Breath
09-09-2004, 06:57 AM
Anyone use studs?

Cab325i/540i
09-09-2004, 07:20 AM
3 miles is still 3 miles of possible sliding and stopping... There should be a local dealer near you... Usually the stores for the Nokians are at the area of states where extreme winter is experienced.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/index.html

I buy my tires from Tire Racks too... but for snow tires... I will go anywhere to buy Nokian.

Ice Racing? Then how come you don't know about Nokian... I would say majority of ice racing is done with Nokian Hakka tires.

She also can work from home if the roads are too bad.

When I bought my snow tires, I had no idea that ice racing even existed, but after I did a few events, I did hear of those tires, but I don't know if anyone who ice races with us uses those. Blizzaks are pretty popular here.

Thanks again, I'll look into the Nokians.

Cab325i/540i
09-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Ditto - I have Michelin Pilot Artic Alpins and love them... Blizzaks can be a little squirrly if ya get a warm winter day...

That's exactly why i wasn't totally thrilled with my Blizzaks last year. When it was cold, they were awesome, though.

Cab325i/540i
09-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Blizzaks are best overall. I used to deal a lot with tires and I know most people swear by them. You'll be flying through snow, feeling confident as if it were a summer day past 4wd cars. OK maybe that was an exaggeration, but they're good. Michelin are OK but more pricey and just can't compete with the Blizzzaks. If you want higher performance versions they're available. I have heard those Nokia Hakkenawhatevers are great too but they may be too extreme/aggresive for most people south of Alaska. No matter what, though our cars are RWD I highly recommend snow tires at all 4 corners!

Absolutely! I wouldn't put snows only on the front or rear. I would kind of like traction for both power and steering. It's a little quirk I have. :p

Having had a good season on my E30 with Blizzaks, I think I'm leaning in that direction for the E34 as well.

Cab325i/540i
09-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Anyone use studs?

Not I. The fastest racers on the ice all have spikes, though. Our weather in Mass really isn't severe enough to warrant studs, but some people still use them around here. It isn't very nice to the roads.

Gooch
09-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Studs are the best way to go as they don't slip at all even on ice. But it makes the car sound like a German half track on dry pavement. I usually wait to put them on until December and take them off in March.
One thing about snow tires, the thinner the better. I'm running 205/65/15 in winter and 225/60/15 in summer.

rockyfeller
09-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Yes, good point! Contrary to popular opinion tires with a narrower width like a 205 will be better in snow. People assume wider tires will grip better somehow. Though the contact patch is narrower and over a smaller area, the weight of the car is concentrated over that smaller area so traction is better.

TimGinCentralNJ
09-09-2004, 12:44 PM
...my studden Nokian Hakka Q's got me around just fine (and I live on top of a mountain) last winter. They really make an incredible difference in these cars when the roads get slick, and in MA I believe you're legally able to run with studs from Novth 15 - Apr 15th. They're worth it!

I scored a brand new set of the orig Blizzak (the WS-15, I think was the model) for my E12 beater...they worked very well, but I still prefer the Hakka's.

I might even buy a set for my Outback this winter!

Hope that helps,
Tim
'91 535iM
'81 528iA
'05 Outback XT Ltd

TimGinCentralNJ
09-09-2004, 12:46 PM
nt

Rory
09-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Not I. The fastest racers on the ice all have spikes, though. Our weather in Mass really isn't severe enough to warrant studs, but some people still use them around here. It isn't very nice to the roads.
I vote for Blizzaks. I spent my first winter last year up here in Boston and they did just fine. My wife was driving to work daily in the 5 and I got to play in the snow with the car with no problems. She had the fear of god put into her by co-workers for having a rear wheel drive car. But the Blizzaks handled the ice and snow without a problem. I agree about the warm weather comments, but it is cold as $&#*$& up here in the winter. And you are buying these for the white stuff and ice, not the warm days. But, I have heard wonderful things about Nokians and if I hadn't wanted a wheel/tire deal last year I probably would have gone with them. But, I can tell you that the Blizzaks will take good care of your 5 up here.

Good Luck,
Rory

Tiger
09-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Thank you Tim... People just don't understand the Hakka's

SharkmanBMW
09-12-2004, 05:42 PM
I have tried them all and the "Nokian hakkapellita Q Ice" are number one for where I am. (more ice here than snow because of the salt put down by the city)
the Hakka Q snow model is the best for anyone that really has to drive in snow, they are better than top of the line michelin, toyo and only the blizzak comes close but lasts 1/2 the time.
Honestly, Nokian is the king, better than blizzak and pilots hands down!
I have pilot alpins on my honda - they are good, but I had the nokians - trust me!
Also they are a european tire made in a northern cold climate, they have to be good!

for usa... http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tiresub.cfm?cid=1&sid=1

I have a friend that owns a independant tire shop (a huge michelin dealer!) so if anyone wants tires from montreal at a super deal, let me know! :p

Tiger
09-12-2004, 06:54 PM
That's great to hear... Where there is a bad storm coming, I always get excited because I want to test out the Hakka Q... But as usual... I had to shovel my driveway first! (I don't want more work than necessary to clear them out.)

One winter, I tested out my tire in severe slush/ice condition on steepest hill in my town... like 10% grade or something... pretty steep... only 4x4 can make it up... I made it all the way up. That Jeep guy was darn surprised. No traction control at all on my car.

I even stopped in middle of the hill and then restart to see how good the tire... it goes... nary a slip taking off.