PDA

View Full Version : anyone have anything pressingly negative to say about Berryman's b12 chemtool.....

ryan roopnarine
09-07-2004, 07:42 PM
i'm asking because someone said that it was aggressive enough to eat through the can if left in storage, just wanted to know. its chemical composition looks quite innocuous and similar to most other FI/carb/valve cleaners that are of moderate to strong strength.

winfred
09-07-2004, 07:52 PM
it's one of my favorite spray carb cleaners, id guess that the can came in contact with something that reacted with it, it's not like that paint they put on the cans is for anything other then looks

i'm asking because someone said that it was aggressive enough to eat through the can if left in storage, just wanted to know. its chemical composition looks quite innocuous and similar to most other FI/carb/valve cleaners that are of moderate to strong strength.

ryan roopnarine
09-07-2004, 08:02 PM
his claim was that an unopened bottle of it left on a shelf ate through itself...sounded like ********

turns out, is ********

methyl benzene, methanol, 2-propanone, 2 butantone,2 butoxyethanol, 2 propanol, dimethylbenzene.......where is the unobtanium that gives this substance the ability to eat itself through a metal can when it hasn't been cracked (no contaminants to react) and no extreme sunshine or heaT?

Mr. BILL
09-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I hope not, I just used it to clean the carbon off the pistons in my M20.

ryan roopnarine
09-07-2004, 08:28 PM
I hope not, I just used it to clean the carbon off the pistons in my M20.

that's kind of what this person was alluding to...it cleans carbon &c. extremely well, but because of this it is too caustic to use in your fuel tank as per instructions or crankcase before oilchanges.

ryan roopnarine
09-07-2004, 08:31 PM
oh, did you use chemdip or chemtool to clean your pistons....the carb cleaner and FI cleaner are chemtool, the chemdip is supposed to be used as a parts cleaner (and is a different composition, as i just read). chemdip comes in a 1 gallon bucket and has a litttle basket.

winfred
09-07-2004, 08:36 PM
i make my own parts solvent from 3 gallons of mac's degreaser from napa and about 15 gallons of diesel, works as well or better as any comercial parts washer solvent and it will rinse off with water, plus it's non explosive and don't eat your hands

oh, did you use chemdip or chemtool to clean your pistons....the carb cleaner and FI cleaner are chemtool, the chemdip is supposed to be used as a parts cleaner (and is a different composition, as i just read). chemdip comes in a 1 gallon bucket and has a litttle basket.

Brian C.
09-07-2004, 09:21 PM
....can of Coke eat through the aluminum on me. It blew-up in my closet after about 4-5 years. What a mess. Just think what it does to your teeth!! :D

Brian C.

Mr. BILL
09-08-2004, 10:17 AM
I used Chemtool

Mr. BILL
09-08-2004, 10:18 AM
winfred, you never cease to amaze!

Mr Project
09-08-2004, 12:36 PM
I've had a 5g bucket of Chemdip for a while (with about 3g of solution in it). It's nasty stuff. My biggest complaint is that it takes forever to get that smell out, and if I get anywhere near the house with the bucket or the part that I cleaned, my wife is less than appreciative.

I've dealt with a lot of smells in my life, but that stuff and 30 year old gear oil are 2 that I don't look forward to. :D

winfred
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
well it works, i get 2-3 years out of a batch before the tank gets too much crud in it diluting the solvent

winfred, you never cease to amaze!