PDA

View Full Version : New sneakers now on 535i-

Warren N.CA
09-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Because I like the Bridgestone Potenza RE950 so much, on my '90 325is, I decided to go with their similar new product for the 535i,- the Potenza G009.

When I first started driving on the new tires, things were not right. Car seemed very skittish. I figured they messed up the tire pressues, but not so, they were OK. So I lowered the front pressures about 2 additional pounds. Then it was perfect. Very fast turn-in compared to Yoko AVS intermediate. Gives the car a much more spritely feel that I find very appealing. But the ultimate grip is not as good as the Yokos, nor is the high speed stability.

Best news of all- my axle hop is gone completely. The Yokos just had too much grip. Couldn't spin the rear wheels without horrid axle hop.

Since these G009's are better in the wet than Yokos, I think they are going to suit me very well. They actually are a lot more fun to drive than the Yokos.

Robin-535im
09-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Just wondering - are you talking about "throttle oversteer" in a curve or is this straight line breaking-em-loose power?

I only ask because I have yet to break my tires loose except for turns in wet weather... then again I'm a mile higher than you so my RWHP is probably 15% less.

- Robin

632 Regal
09-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Warren, when you get brand new tires they emit kinda an oily residue that makes the tires slippery, this goes away with under 100 miles being driven on them or so. This happens with the newer compounds that they are competing with these days. Nice to not have that hop huh? Thats a nice way to break the bank...need traction bars like in the 70s LOL.

Warren N.CA
09-07-2004, 08:19 PM
behavior on throttle and clutch. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm absolutely certain that flat out acceleration in first, folllowed by a brisk shift to second would lay a big patch. The EAT chip really woke up this motor big time.

Just wondering - are you talking about "throttle oversteer" in a curve or is this straight line breaking-em-loose power?

I only ask because I have yet to break my tires loose except for turns in wet weather... then again I'm a mile higher than you so my RWHP is probably 15% less.

- Robin

Mr Project
09-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Yeah, Warren, I can get a solid 'bark' out of the tires with mine on the 1-2 shift if I'm on it hard. M30 w/EAT, 181k, 5-speed, 3.46 LSD. 225/60/15 Goodyear Eagle HP something something....

Drooby
09-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Warren ,
I just installed these G009s as well ,
i liked that they had a V-rated look , but hopefully without the V rated treadwear . 50 k warranty isnt that great.

I gotta say i feel kinda sad for my old yokohamas (A320)- they lasted 65k miles with absolutely no problems - not even a nail !!!

I hope these new ones are upto the comparison .

The car feels a lot lighter now - easier to turn and manuver , but I have to say i feel that it lost some grip - maybe its the new tire residue mentioned by Regal , maybe its because the steering wheel is lighter , so now i am not used to it yet .But we'll see in the days to come .
How are yours doing - what pressure do you have them set at now ??

drooby