PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds a 1995 525 with 120k miles still has a plastic impeller.

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-06-2004, 01:57 PM
I just picked out a very clean 1995 525 for a friend of mine. She liked it, and did end up purchasing it. An auto with 120k miles for $5900. Very, very clean. I think that's a great deal for a car that has only just now been broken in!!!! :D

Since I'm most familiar with my two 535's, and not the M50 engine, I've got to ask: with all those miles on the 525 (120,000+), wouldn't the plastic impeller water pump already have been replaced by now, or do I have to break down and take it out to check? I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks all.

ryan roopnarine
09-06-2004, 02:18 PM
i thought the volk around here were sayin' that you should change any m50 water pump out every 60k because even the new ones were plastic, and its just cheap insurance to do so. with 125/60---would be about time for a new one anyway.

JR'Z 525
09-06-2004, 02:19 PM
and it was cracked, spinning fairly freely on the shaft and fixing to "explode"!
Better check it soon...
John R.

632 Regal
09-06-2004, 03:42 PM
I would replace that, the thermostat, belts and hoses while your in there, just a maintenance item ya know?

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Done deal, I'll order the parts tomorrow. Thanks all for your most excellent advise, as usual.

Russell
09-06-2004, 04:19 PM
I have heard, my indy say so, that you should replace the plastic cover with a metal thermostat cover? I understand the cover is the same material as the plastic parts of the radiator.

Done deal, I'll order the parts tomorrow. Thanks all for your most excellent advise, as usual.

632 Regal
09-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Yes, the cover should be replaced with the aluminum one.

winfred
09-06-2004, 04:49 PM
yep the plastic's crap, i've had nothing but bad luck with geba brand pumps, not just on certain models but everything, the bearing craps out. i did a 93 525 that still had the orignal pump (date code was 92) at 189k miles, we bought the car at auction overheating and the impeller was spinning inplace. what's this crap about all of the replacment pumps being plastic? everything i can get has iron impellers graf, geba and hepu, i've seen really shitty autozone bmw pumps with shiney brittle green plastic impellers

I have heard, my indy say so, that you should replace the plastic cover with a metal thermostat cover? I understand the cover is the same material as the plastic parts of the radiator.

ryan roopnarine
09-06-2004, 05:19 PM
yep the plastic's crap, i've had nothing but bad luck with geba brand pumps, not just on certain models but everything, the bearing craps out. i did a 93 525 that still had the orignal pump (date code was 92) at 189k miles, we bought the car at auction overheating and the impeller was spinning inplace. what's this crap about all of the replacment pumps being plastic? everything i can get has iron impellers graf, geba and hepu, i've seen really shitty autozone bmw pumps with shiney brittle green plastic impellers

perhaps you misunderstood me....i'm almost certain that the replacement pump that went into my car in the middle of BFE was plastic, unfortunately.....just saying that it isn't a 100% sure bet that you might not get a plastic one from somewhere (considering other places than bma).

winfred
09-06-2004, 11:40 PM
i've seen some people think the impeller on the graf is plastic because it's so nice and finished instead of rough and ugly
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/GCS0002.jpg

perhaps you misunderstood me....i'm almost certain that the replacement pump that went into my car in the middle of BFE was plastic, unfortunately.....just saying that it isn't a 100% sure bet that you might not get a plastic one from somewhere (considering other places than bma).

winfred
09-06-2004, 11:42 PM
by the way now that i have a pc at the house i have access to all kinds of cool stuff ;)

Paul in NZ
09-07-2004, 05:59 AM
surely you can do better! (Winces and holds breath)

walt525tour
09-07-2004, 07:00 AM
I just picked out a very clean 1995 525 for a friend of mine. She liked it, and did end up purchasing it. An auto with 120k miles for $5900. Very, very clean. I think that's a great deal for a car that has only just now been broken in!!!! :D

Since I'm most familiar with my two 535's, and not the M50 engine, I've got to ask: with all those miles on the 525 (120,000+), wouldn't the plastic impeller water pump already have been replaced by now, or do I have to break down and take it out to check? I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks all.

Ed,

I just did mine at 124,000 a couple weeks after I bought it used. She got a great price I paid $500 more on a touring.

My seller had an extended warranty and it was dealer serviced thu 100k and even after that. My seller was able to get a printout from the dealer of the service record. Maybe your friend could get something like that.

For instance, I know my radiator was replaced at 65,000 miles and the last time a service II was done, when belts were replaced, etc.