PDA

View Full Version : Ole Bessie has the shakes. 93 525ia 158k

smcgowan
09-05-2004, 02:24 PM
OK ok before you start to say it's the upper thrust bushing, it should'nt be because a replaced those at 120k (with poly offset bushings from BMA). Now the ole girl's got 158k and rides like a dream until the road gets a little rough. Then she starts to shake the front end. It does it about at any speed the fast the more pronouced. I'm thinking it's about time for shocks, springs, lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, idler arm, center tie rod and tie rod ends. After doing a little research and alot of reading on this great board I thinking of going with the BMA spring/ Boge or Koni shock setup. Any of you got a set of BMA springs for sale? Is there any other cause for the head shake the ole girls got that I'm overlooking, or other parts I need to replace? After adding all the new parts up so far it's about 1100 for the parts alone.. The car is currently running stock 16" baskets. Only thing not stock is the Turner Chip and the K+N dropin filter.

ScottM

Parts replaced already since getting the car.
All Coils and the main brain at 90K ( damn #1 coil melted and blew the brain so I replaced all coils)
Sword@90k
Chipped and K+N@90k
Upper thrust bearing@120k
FlexDisk@120k
Radiator@ 120k

Tires/ brakes... You have to have them. ;)

Geoff Hoad
09-05-2004, 06:11 PM
The Boge set up will give you a nice ride and essentially bring the car back to new spec. Boge Turbo's on the other hand combined with Sachs springs, will give a firmer set up not too different from the M-Tech suspension (which is essentially a Boge/Sachs combo anyway.) Have driven E34's with ther Sachs/Boge combination and like it. They give a nice firm ride but are not too stiff. Reasonably tolerable on poor roads.

But I chose Koni adjustables for my car to give full adjustability and I have been extremely impressed. Here's why.

I can adjust for both driving style and road conditions and can also adjust to suit the suspension, ie: dial in understeer and oversteer. Also, if you ever want to do an Autocross or track day the Konis will let you do it. Mine is a daily driver so I have a reasonably soft set up, but when the old dear gets near a track, then I am able to stiffen her up and drive according to the conditions.

Konis do perform well with a good set of springs. I have Eibach's on mine but Sachs will do very well indeed. From experience H&R's are a little too stiff for my liking and lets not forget, the stiffer the suspension becomes, the less comfortable it becomes and road conditions will become very noticeable. Go that route and you will discover a lot of rattles you never knew you had.

So, after driving a number of different set ups, I am thrilled with the Konis because I can adjust them and they are such a good quality item. In fact, i fitted my E30 with Konis as well and its a joy to look at and drive.

Also consider a set of M-technic/540i/M5 sway bars to eliminate the roll. Plenty around in wreckers these days.

One final word. Your basketweaves should be 15 inch not 16 but the real point is, elave them on and experience them with the new suspension. I found that our roads are so bad that a stiffer suspension on poor raods with 17" wheels was pretty uncomfprtable. Now I am back to 15" basketweaves.

Hope this helps,

Geoff Hoad
09-05-2004, 06:12 PM
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~persol/Overtaking.gif

The Boge set up will give you a nice ride and essentially bring the car back to new spec. Boge Turbo's on the other hand combined with Sachs springs, will give a firmer set up not too different from the M-Tech suspension (which is essentially a Boge/Sachs combo anyway.) Have driven E34's with ther Sachs/Boge combination and like it. They give a nice firm ride but are not too stiff. Reasonably tolerable on poor roads.

But I chose Koni adjustables for my car to give full adjustability and I have been extremely impressed. Here's why.

I can adjust for both driving style and road conditions and can also adjust to suit the suspension, ie: dial in understeer and oversteer. Also, if you ever want to do an Autocross or track day the Konis will let you do it. Mine is a daily driver so I have a reasonably soft set up, but when the old dear gets near a track, then I am able to stiffen her up and drive according to the conditions.

Konis do perform well with a good set of springs. I have Eibach's on mine but Sachs will do very well indeed. From experience H&R's are a little too stiff for my liking and lets not forget, the stiffer the suspension becomes, the less comfortable it becomes and road conditions will become very noticeable. Go that route and you will discover a lot of rattles you never knew you had.

So, after driving a number of different set ups, I am thrilled with the Konis because I can adjust them and they are such a good quality item. In fact, i fitted my E30 with Konis as well and its a joy to look at and drive.

Also consider a set of M-technic/540i/M5 sway bars to eliminate the roll. Plenty around in wreckers these days.

One final word. Your basketweaves should be 15 inch not 16 but the real point is, elave them on and experience them with the new suspension. I found that our roads are so bad that a stiffer suspension on poor raods with 17" wheels was pretty uncomfprtable. Now I am back to 15" basketweaves.

Hope this helps,

632 Regal
09-05-2004, 06:31 PM
I just finished replacing my BMA springs with some Eibach's, they were not enough for my V8engine and the mile of dirt raod I have to travel to get out. Since they are only a year old and I have the original box make me an offer, email me at my addy. Sorry for the typos, microsoft wont let me backup and fix em.