PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer/Amp project questions

panzershreck
09-04-2004, 02:17 PM
upgrading the Amplifier and installing a new Subwoofer, first off... dont have a clue about the system already in the BMW (friend with me who has done this many times before knows nothing about BMW's either)... second, is there a way to route power cables to the battery... third, whats the proper way to install an amplifier and subwoofer... and fourth, how do you lift up the rear seat?

bjl4776
09-04-2004, 02:46 PM
I can awnser the last two questions. There are rubber grommets with wires coming through it in the back of the trunk, just pass the power cables through thows. And to lift up the back seat just pull up. It takes some force but there isn't ny nuts or bolts holding it in.

rockyfeller
09-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Broad questions w/multiple answers...The factory unit uses an external 10 channel amp located in the rear left of the trunk. If you use an amp that accepts high power input leads you can easily add an amp bu tapping into the rear speaker inputs to the amp (Check all wiring diagrams with Bruno's site). The best way to go (and that's what most of us on the forum have done) is to change the head-unit all together and bypass power from the external amp giving direct power from the new deck. I'm using Pioneer's top-of-the-line Premier DEH-P940MP. (It plays MP3s too...No, I don't miss my 6disc changer) The new deck should have dedicated subwoofer pre-outs. This will give a cleaner signal and better sound control to all speakers. We are very lucky in the sense that we can locate an amp really close to the battery since the battery is under the rear seat. You can easily mount the amp in the trunk and run the wires under the seat. Make sure you buy a quality wiring kit using the proper gauge wire for the power of the amp. Terminal ends/connectors,wiring, are worth the extra bucks when you buy quality ones. If you are going to use more than a 600 watt amp I strongly recommend using a capacitor. It will really help. For exact basic wiring diagrams I have always found crutchfield.com a valuable resource. Search their site they have good info, as well as Bruno's site. Good Luck!

mrbmw1
09-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I agree with what has been said100% I do about 3-4 bimmers a month not including redoing mine evertime someone wnats the system.
my steps:
1. go to: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/stereo_wiring.htm(print & keep
** I have it laminated*** then disconnect battery
2. remove the head unit 2 allen screws on each side of the radio use a sharp pointed object to open the clip there in there. (if your tool are in the case its one in there) pull it out take a large flat head screw driver and pry up the lock on the plug (there is a little scetch of it on the plug) pull out the radio.
3. use adapter plug or cut each wire seperately and connect new head unit:power ground& anntenna or remote on off wire
4. remove rear seat top -NOTE:careful with the seat belt cover on the top back of seat where it meets the rear deck: SLOWLY pull up on both sides if them with both hands so they don't break.
run rca plugs from front to rear of car ( this is a 45min job if all seats are out)
5. go inside trunk remove panel at rear & cut small hole in large rectangular rubber grommet & push the cables throught to the trunk.(Didn't know it was a full metal jacket back there huh?) remove the factory amp and cut and reuse the wires this is where the diagram from the link above is key.
6. mount amp where cd changer is ( you have to go inverted w/ selftaping metal screws. or where ever you like it. If the amp is over 500watts use a Capacitor & perferably use 2 amps small one for the mids & highs & big bass amp.
7. If you are installing subs look in the middle ehre the arm rest goes and kick out that panel so the sound will come through.
8 test the system & if its to loud turn it down till you get to the beach
email me if you hit a snag mrbmw1@hotmail.com
i'd list the stuff in my cars but it a laundry list good luck
If anyone sees a black 94 540iA w/MRBMW on a Marine Corps tag in Florida BLOW REALLY LOUD! I probably still wont hear ya

rockyfeller
09-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Oh yeah by the way, if you do decide to get a new head unit, make sure you change at least the 4 main speakers...Changing the speakers with the BMW head unit will probably have no difference or maybe even unmatched or sound worse (different sensitivity ratings) But if you have a new head unit you'll need quality speakers to give justice to your new found frequency response. The music will sound like you took glue out of your ears. You can go a little bigger in the front kick panel. I have 6 1/2s squeezed in with a 1hr hack job and the speaker looks great there. In the rear it is sooo difficult to go bigger than the standard 5 1/4s without major surgery. I wished to put 6x9s there because I think 5 1/4s no matter who's always sound like crap. I have Kenwood Excelons all around. Best in terms of specs/price. Remember the external 10 channel amp also provide crossovers for each channel therefore if you bypass the amp you'll be sending a full-bandwidth signal to the speakers. Look into some type of inline crossover, that's what I did, otherwise you can blow those tweeters. Otherwise disconnect them....your 3 or 4 way speakers will cover the treble.