PDA

View Full Version : My loose foglight fix...

Dan in NZ
09-03-2004, 05:10 PM
I must have hit something with my foglight a while back, because it's been loose for ages. Yesterday I took the lamp out to try and get it back in tight. I took apart both lights to see how they go together, and found that at the outer edge of the mounting frame there is a ball-in-socket arrangement holding that end in, and a pin-in-hole at the other end, with an angle adjustment screw at the top. The ball had snapped off, leaving that end of the mounting frame hanging in the air. Seems like this could happen quite easily, so I thought I would share my cheap fix.

To fix this, I fully undid the adjustment screw, then pulled the mounting frame out, this required a bit of fiddling around and brute force. I got a suitable sized plastic ball from a craft store, and drilled a hole through it, then screwed the ball onto the mounting frame in place of the snpped-off original one. Using a LOT of force and cursing, I put the new ball in the socket, which is mounted on the bumper, then stretched the bumper part enought to get the pin-end in it's hole. The adjustment screw wasn't in it's hole, so I cursed some more, and took the mounting frame back out, then put it back in, this time with the adjustment screw in it's hole... Screwed the adjustment screw to about where it should be, then just put the light back in, now it's aligned and secure just as it should be.

mrbmw1
09-04-2004, 12:03 PM
If you look on the site long enough you find just what you need I just noticed mine was loose this morning I'll try the fix & let you know

632 Regal
09-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I have to put my new ellipsoid fogs in as soon as I get the wires and that just hit the spot!

ummm... your picture is reversed or something, looks like the passanger is driving.

:D

Dan in NZ
09-04-2004, 03:54 PM
ummm... your picture is reversed or something, looks like the passanger is driving.

Ummm.... Just looks that way because you guys drive on the wrong side of the road... Had me scared last time I was in LA, I was a passenger but felt like I was in the drivers seat!

mrbmw1
09-04-2004, 05:55 PM
turned out to be a good day & bad back locking ring missing off left fog light.
I was broken exactly like you said. thanks, I repaired my e30 window motor & found out why my shifting is hard to gointo reverse- shifter looks as if it is twisted got another on in my salvage car.
Im in North Port , Fl where charley just came through & his mistress frances is now knocking on our door looking for him. over cast day & everytine I start working we get a band of storms last one about a hour ago w/ approx 30-45mph winds