PDA

View Full Version : I've got my sword out!

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-03-2004, 04:32 PM
What's the current recommendation, buy a new sword, or rebuild the old one. I checked Mouser.com for some of the parts and it seems they don't have them anymore. So I'm inclined to go ahead and just get one from BMA!

Thanks all.

Robin-535im
09-03-2004, 06:18 PM
What's the current recommendation, buy a new sword, or rebuild the old one. I checked Mouser.com for some of the parts and it seems they don't have them anymore. So I'm inclined to go ahead and just get one from BMA!

Thanks all.

Soldering can be fun. Nothing like the smell of flux in the air.

My metric is that my time is worth ~$20/hr, so if I can get it for $100 but it would take me 6 hours to do it by hand, I'll just buy it and consider it done.

Isn't there a guy in Roundel who rebuilds them? He might buy the core from you for a few bucks.

Paul in NZ
09-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Your sig prompts me to ask,how many different variations of the boxeer does bmw build now?On my tour round the city this morning one shop had so many versions of the big flat twin i got really confused!!!!!hen of course there are the fours as well!

Bill R.
09-03-2004, 09:45 PM
new behr ones for 150 awhile back, Patrick thought that was a pretty good price and he couldn't match it.... I have rebuilt a couple of them but on my own, it failed again after a couple of months and i just ordered a new one from eurasian instead.

Thanks all.

Tiger
09-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Is it that shop out in CA? Strange how they don't have a website...

Bill R.
09-04-2004, 12:44 AM
found it again here (http://www.eap4parts.com/)
Looks like they only have programa rebuilt swords now... for 129. I think thats the same price that bmw gets for the rebuilt ones.

Is it that shop out in CA? Strange how they don't have a website...

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-04-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm going to try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7919436005&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Seems like a fair price. Comes with a 2 year warantee, but who's to say that they'll be around in two years! I'll let you know how it goes.

They really only make one Boxer engine at a time. They put them in different style bikes though. They just came out with a new boxer engine, raising the HP and lightening it dramatically. It's the first boxer with a balance shaft. Supposed to be much smoother. It's out in the new 1200GS. I've been thinking about perhaps getting it, but then again, I'm still out here looking for a job! New job = new bike, maybe!

Paul in NZ
09-05-2004, 07:45 PM
when you go into a BMW bike shop and they have new and used bikes all lined up together......whew

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
BMW makes "R", "F" and "K" bikes.
The Rs have the boxer engine, the Fs have a thumper (single cylinder) Rotex engine, and the Ks are inline 4 cylinder engines. Those three style engines are used in all their various models. Their new boxer and the up coming inline 4 cyl engines are very, very impressive. The K (4cyl engine) is targeting the Hayabusa's and the Blackbird Super bike market. Bmw is finally competing against the Japs with their new beemers. Very cool indeed.

Paul in NZ
09-07-2004, 12:50 AM
i know about the old K bikes,i used to ride a k100rs.....sold it for a house deposit.....the array of boxers alone was to much for me!!!!A nice sleek black k1100? rs caught my eye tho.....

JonE
09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm going to try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7919436005&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Seems like a fair price. Comes with a 2 year warantee, but who's to say that they'll be around in two years! I'll let you know how it goes.

They really only make one Boxer engine at a time. They put them in different style bikes though. They just came out with a new boxer engine, raising the HP and lightening it dramatically. It's the first boxer with a balance shaft. Supposed to be much smoother. It's out in the new 1200GS. I've been thinking about perhaps getting it, but then again, I'm still out here looking for a job! New job = new bike, maybe!

Ed,
I went with a sword from the EuroElectric guy, his name is David Rainey. Everything went just fine, he is a very good person to work with. I think he does this as an extra business/hobby and seemed very honest and attentive. I would recommend him to anybody that needs a rebuilt sword or LKM.
Jon

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Yes, the guys name is David Rainey. I just received it, and installed it. IT WORKS, kewl. So for $100 I got the rebuilt sword in 2 business days, I don't think I could beat that. Good deal. Now let's see how long it works, hopefully a good long time. Thanks all. I just have to send back the core in his prepostage paid box to get $30 back from what I gave him ($130 +$6 for postage).