PDA

View Full Version : valve cover gasket

darron525
09-03-2004, 12:36 PM
anyone have a write up for the valve cover gasket replacement on a 93 525.

thanks,
Darron

Jon K
09-03-2004, 01:23 PM
There's one floating around, but it is REALLY straight forward:

Remove oil cap.
Remove BMW center engine cover.(2 nuts)
Remove BMW valve cover-cover...(2 nuts)
Disconnect Coils
Remove Coils
Remove grounding bolts/nuts (coils are attached to two i believe)
Remove (11 i think) 13mm nuts around the valve cover
Clean/Paint/Replace/etc (as you see fit) valve cover
Check cam wear before putting new gasket in.
Reverse of removal... torque to an indicated 7 ft/lb... but since most don't have a 7 ft/lb wrench, just torque them to a comfortable tightness... don't over-do it but don't be ridiculous.

This is all from memory, it took about 45 mins (except i painted my whole cover black)

DanDombrowski
09-03-2004, 06:42 PM
I had one until I accidentally deleted all the pictures off my server, and haven't put them back on yet.

Here it is anyway.

go to plaza.ufl.edu/volvo240/

its there somewhere

Morgenster
03-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Reverse of removal... torque to an indicated 7 ft/lb... but since most don't have a 7 ft/lb wrench, just torque them to a comfortable tightness... don't over-do it but don't be ridiculous.

This is all from memory, it took about 45 mins (except i painted my whole cover black)
I'm about to dig into this and it's probably going to be the first and last time I'm doing something that requires a torque wrench. So when you say comfortably tight how many turns after fingertight (or handtight) is just about right? I don't feel like spending the money on a torque wrench if I'm only going to use it once. I could try borrowing it from a local mechanic, but I'd just like to know.

Scott C
03-03-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm about to dig into this and it's probably going to be the first and last time I'm doing something that requires a torque wrench. So when you say comfortably tight how many turns after fingertight (or handtight) is just about right? I don't feel like spending the money on a torque wrench if I'm only going to use it once. I could try borrowing it from a local mechanic, but I'd just like to know.

7ft lbs = 7lbs applied perpendicular to a wrench at a 12 in radius.... If that helps you to be more precise

DaveVoorhis
03-03-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm about to dig into this and it's probably going to be the first and last time I'm doing something that requires a torque wrench.
You say that now, but it won't be. Buy a good torque wrench.

Scott C
03-03-2007, 09:10 AM
This might do it for you....
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=807
807-6VGA
Pittsburgh 3/8'' DRIVE CLICKER TORQUE WRENCH $19.99

Gunslinger
04-08-2007, 08:46 PM
There's one floating around, but it is REALLY straight forward:

Remove oil cap.
Remove BMW center engine cover.(2 nuts)
Remove BMW valve cover-cover...(2 nuts)
Disconnect Coils
Remove Coils
Remove grounding bolts/nuts (coils are attached to two i believe)
Remove (11 i think) 13mm nuts around the valve cover
Clean/Paint/Replace/etc (as you see fit) valve cover
Check cam wear before putting new gasket in.

pretty comprehensive, I'll make a couple of addenda:

1. on my 1992, the nuts were all 10mm, except for the 2 holding the ground straps, which were 8mm (bottom nut is 10mm)

2. Bentley says 10 ft. lbs

Dave M
04-09-2007, 09:09 AM
pretty comprehensive, I'll make a couple of addenda:

1. on my 1992, the nuts were all 10mm, except for the 2 holding the ground straps, which were 8mm (bottom nut is 10mm)

2. Bentley says 10 ft. lbs

Actually, Bentley states 10 Nm, which equals ~7ft/lbs, which equals "snug"
:D

Dave

Morgenster
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I did it without a torque wrench and used a small ratchet. 'Snug' would be just to the point of having to apply pressure with your arm instead of the wrist. And I mean just before. No leaks since 500 miles ago.

Gunslinger
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Actually, Bentley states 10 Nm, which equals ~7ft/lbs, which equals "snug"
:D

Dave

:(

guess we'll so how long this one lasts, then...

I used a tq. wrench, btw.