PDA

View Full Version : m60 into e34

tnt525i
09-02-2004, 05:58 PM
hi guys, i'm thinking of installing the m60 v8 engine and tranny into my e34, currently it has the m50 vanos engine , has anyone ever done this? if so what problems should i encounter if any, any info is appreciated
thanx

Robin-535im
09-02-2004, 06:12 PM
hi guys, i'm thinking of installing the m60 v8 engine and tranny into my e34, currently it has the m50 vanos engine , has anyone ever done this? if so what problems should i encounter if any, any info is appreciated
thanx

I know there are differences in the engine compartment components, so you might need a complete donor car to do it right. Suspension is different slightly too, I think the springs are stiffer to account for the increased weight.

The big question is... how much is your time worth? Why not just buy a 540? Or heck - search Autotrader for an E34M5 in your area! Chances are when you factor in the time and money for the swap, you can buy a faster car and come out ahead rather than building one.

- Robin

DrewZ
09-02-2004, 06:24 PM
The general rule is: if you start with a 6, you can upgrade with a 6; if you start with an 8, you can upgrade with an 8.

The V8 cars have the brake booster installed behind the left headlight. It would be a major PITA to rearrange the engine bay of a 6-cylinder E34 to accomodate an M60. Not worth the hassle, IMO since there are LOTS of M60-powered E34s for sale.

thanx

Jeff N.
09-02-2004, 07:09 PM
The general rule is: if you start with a 6, you can upgrade with a 6; if you start with an 8, you can upgrade with an 8.

The V8 cars have the brake booster installed behind the left headlight. It would be a major PITA to rearrange the engine bay of a 6-cylinder E34 to accomodate an M60. Not worth the hassle, IMO since there are LOTS of M60-powered E34s for sale.

winfred
09-02-2004, 07:58 PM
ditto

632 Regal
09-02-2004, 08:16 PM
dreww is right, you need a complete doner car for the brakes and probably a shitload of other stuff. for the cost that these cars are going for it would be stupid to spend the money converting them. enjoy what you have, clean it up and upgrade to what you want for a mere hundreds VS thousands. anyways if your rich you can buy my stuff, im not willing to sell so it would be a higher donation compared to the standard rusty non cared and replaced for part vehicle.

winfred
09-02-2004, 08:25 PM
now if somebody finds me a 6 speed v12 tranny for under a grand ill do a write up on how ill install a 92 750 motor (that i allready have at the yard) in my 535, and most of that info will transfer to doing a v8 swap like the brake booster relocate

Reidal
09-03-2004, 12:50 AM
LOL. So I could easily drop a v12 into my 530 if the engine is totalled as a result of my recent Oil pump falling off misadventure? :D

Cool

Reid

winfred
09-03-2004, 08:20 AM
don't know if id say easily, easier would be more acurate

LOL. So I could easily drop a v12 into my 530 if the engine is totalled as a result of my recent Oil pump falling off misadventure? :D

Cool

Reid

ryan roopnarine
09-03-2004, 08:25 AM
sooooo....are you saying it would be easier to get a m60 and its gearbox in trinidad than it is to get the zf a5s to replace your transmission?

thanx

tnt525i
09-03-2004, 04:01 PM
sooooo....are you saying it would be easier to get a m60 and its gearbox in trinidad than it is to get the zf a5s to replace your transmission?
thats right ryan, i have a friend who has a m60 engine and tranny complete (in europe) and he also has a complete V12 engine and tranny here in trinidad,
the m60 is his brother's and he lives in england so he will send it to me here in trinidad but the v12 is here but i'm not interested in that one, i think its too much weight.
as for the previous tranny issue, no i still havent foung one here thats why i thought i'd look to replace the entire powerplant, however i did find an m3 auto tranny at turner motorsports i was told its the same thing can anyone confirm this?