PDA

View Full Version : trying to track down the Whirr from my transmission/ac/ac clutch/elsewhere?........

ryan roopnarine
09-02-2004, 08:53 AM
i've had a whirr that sounds transmission related since about march. march happens to coincide with the time that my indy re-secured my tranny dipstick after leaving it unbolted. it also coincides with the time that the weather here in florida got hot enough so that the a/c got left on 75%-100% of the time, something which i did not consider previously. the tranny (or some other source under the hood) seems to make a noise similar to an electric golf cart motor when in 1st and second gears. last night, i switched into m mode, and found that in 1-2-3 gears, the noise would be made as well (provided that i was doing the shifting). i also found that if i wait and make completely sure that the climate control is disengaged (no compressor engagement), i am able, with regularity, to get the noise to stop completely in all gears (with car at 180 F). the system is about 1 lb down on R12. i'm not sure of how the ac compressor being low on charge could make the tranny make noise (if that even is the case). tranny needs about 1/3 quart to be MAX filled. i'm beginning to think that this noise might be belt/pulley related, compressor clutch related, or completely due to the compressor instead of the transmission (i have no idea how a car a/c compressor is "supposed" to sound when its down on charge). any ideas, comments? car is 1992 (7/91) 525i with a4s 310r auto transmission.

ps.,.....idle speed is slightly lower than spec because of different ICV supply hose diameter, approx 600-650 instead of the specified 750 or so.

Brian C.
09-02-2004, 09:17 AM
....in about 48hrs. But the sound will be coming from somewhere other than your transmission. The good news is, as I figure it, if you get on I-75 and head north around Saturday afternoon, your gas mileage should improve drastically with those hurricane force winds behind you. :D

Brian C.
good luck!
:p

ryan roopnarine
09-02-2004, 09:21 AM
huh...i was planning to drive to orlando on monday to do my brake disk-etts and change my oil, i have to work here saturday and sunday (and friday.......) sigh. anyway, here's a somewhat tasteless cartoon from today's independent florida alligator that you might be able to appreciate (if only a little).

http://www.alligator.org/edit/opinion/issues/stories/images/040902bcartoon.jpg

....in about 48hrs. But the sound will be coming from somewhere other than your transmission. The good news is, as I figure it, if you get on I-75 and head north around Saturday afternoon, your gas mileage should improve drastically with those hurricane force winds behind you. :D

Brian C.
good luck!
:p

Brian C.
09-02-2004, 09:29 AM
At least we didn't screw up the elections down here. After Tuesday's elections had almost no problems, some ""official" came on TV and said, "You see! The sky didn't fall in afterall!" I hope he's putting up his shutters right now cuz it still might. BTW....where do you work?

Brian C.

ryan roopnarine
09-02-2004, 09:30 AM
hurricane or no hurricane, i'm just happy to have finally snagged a gmail account :D

632 Regal
09-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Ryan, sounds like your trans is suckin air. Did you have the filter changed? If so the O ring on it will suck air if not a genuine BMW filter kit. You might also want to add that quart of fluid and see if it goes away for you.
Good luck with your hurricane!

mongoloid
02-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I have the same symptoms on a 5-speed. It's like a electric motor sound (whhirr) in 1st and 2nd. I'm going to see if the A/C on/off has any effect on the noise. Can anyone confirm if this would apply to the auto and manual trans? Thanks in advance!