PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod End Removal

bahamut
09-01-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm trying to remove the outer tie rod end. The ball joint was separated from the steering knuckle with a gear puller without a problem.

After loosening the clamping bolt, I'm finding the end difficult to twist off. I've tried holding the rod with pliers while hitting the end with glancing blows from a hammer, but it's slow going and I don't want to damage the rest of the steering link. It seems like the end should just twist off.

Any help would be appreciated!

PhilipJCaputo
09-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Wish I had better news..... I tried to swap out center tie rods a few weeks back.... I couldn't get the center one loose for the life of me.... I tried hitting stuff in several key spots as suggested by the group.....

in the end, I had to take it to the stealer and have them do it :(

I'm sure if you have the propper tool or if you could make a tool (I don't think it would be all that hard with some welding abilities (now that I think about it.. maybe I'll have my buddy build one with a screw and a couple of nuts from a hardware store))

Anywho... good luck and here is a link http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/steering/steering_link.htm

Geoff Hoad
09-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Replacing E34 suspension parts requires BIG breakers bars and serious quality tools. Some parts will allow themselves to be replaced when the car is on stands but for the rest the car will need to be on a hoist. I hired my local garage and mechanic and for the hour it took he and I to repace all the bits was very cheap. Then took it off to get the alignment done by someone who had the right gear.

Just don't get stuck by removing half of it and not being able to remove the other half. Ask me how I know!

Hope this helps,

632 Regal
09-02-2004, 12:36 PM
BMA sells the arms with both ends, a new sleeve and clamps for just this occasion! Thats the only way I would do it, these cars are all about preventative maintenence not replace when broken. I figure I get the arms, yank the old ones and measuse them up and pop it on, toe should be close on til I get an alignment.

DueyT
05-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Doing it like Jeff says with the tie-rods (complete) from BMA...still had to use high qual pickle-fork set with air-chisel attachment to get the ball joints undone...outboard pass side even needed a whackload of heat from my portable MAP-gas torch! *@#*$@#%*@E#
DOH!

Well worth it though...very tight...nice!

Cheers,
Duey

E34-520iSE
05-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Doing it like Jess says with the tie-rods (complete) from BMA...still had to use high qual pickle-fork set with air-chisel attachment to get the ball joints undone...outboard pass side even needed a whackload of heat from my portable MAP-gas torch! *@#*$@#%*@E# (*@#*$@#%*@E#)
DOH!

Well worth it though...very tight...nice!

Cheers,
Duey
Are you using a ball-joint splitter to get the arms off? A good splitter and a heavy hammer will get the most stubborn joint loose. As Duey says, heat will shock the ends into unscrewing. Take the whole arm off, find a friend with an oxy acetylene set. Clamp the arm level in a big vice, get him/her to heat one end up. Then get a suitable spanner (with tongs/gloves on/or burnt hands!) loosen the knuckle. Then repeat on the other knuckle. Will take about ten minutes this way, but just make sure the ends are heated 'till they are bright orange.
Hope that helps!

Shaun

DueyT
05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm with you Shaun...unfortunately, what do you think was the one item I can't find in my garage, on a Sunday, when all the auto shops are closed?.....Yup! My pitman puller...#*$#...dang, now I'll probably have to get another...and of course, find the old one immediately after.

I was about to pop my sway links on and press my new LCA and thrust arm bushings in but the tie-rods ate up 9.5 hours of the only sunny day on the weekend...grrr...

On the plus side, the steering it showroom tight! Now for all the other bits next weekend.

Cheers,
Duey

liquidtiger720
05-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Does anybody replace the pitman arm? I forgot to buy that peice when I was in there. For some reason, i got my center link, and tie rods off pretty easy. I'm glad I am not having the same problems as you guys. :)

632 Regal
05-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Liquid you just use a typical ball joint seperator hammer deal?