PDA

View Full Version : front weels vibrate when braking

grave77
09-01-2004, 01:20 PM
I have thei 535i E34 90 model I have new Disks and bushings, new arms front and rear. and new weels and new alloys .. but I still get this vibration. anyone knows the problem?

1995 525i
09-01-2004, 03:02 PM
I have thei 535i E34 90 model I have new Disks and bushings, new arms front and rear. and new weels and new alloys .. but I still get this vibration. anyone knows the problem?
Check the rear arms and your swaybar links. I had the same problem and got new control arms and new swaybar links. So far so good.

Randell
09-02-2004, 12:26 AM
I had pretty bad vibration under braking in my car. Got the front shocks replaced (one of them was completely dead), bump stops and idler arm bushings. It's almost gone now, but there's still a slight vibration under initial braking, but not enough to bother me.

bill g
09-02-2004, 02:59 AM
Even though you have new discs make sure there is no runout, which can occur if there is dirt or grit caught between the mounting faces etc. My experience with BMW brakes is that they are really sensitive to disc runout and variations in thickness of the discs.

grave77
10-10-2004, 06:08 PM
I dont know ... but all what you guys said was checked disks and brake linings, arms front and rear were changed too. I'm doubting the shock absorbers but they are stiff.

Randell
10-11-2004, 08:53 AM
forget my post about the shocks and idler arm, it lowered the brake-shakes a fair bit at first, but now it's back and worse than ever... next on my list will be sway bar links and control arms... I get a clunk when i hit a bump with my right front wheel, so I can rule out warped rotors (at least, that's not the only problem! sigh..)

andyman32
10-11-2004, 01:55 PM
I have a serious shimmy in braking when descending through 60-50 area, as well as a misalignment when cruising at about the same speeds. From what I've read so far in this thread (and in archives), I can narrow it down to the following:

ALMOST EVERYTHING IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION

That might be a little pricy, by way of replacement parts AND time. It looks like the upper control arm bushings are dry and worn out, and there's a lot of space between the through-bolt and the bushing on both sides. Is that normal? Should the bushing fit snugly around the bolt?

Could I just replace the bushing, or do I need an entire new control arm? Or, is it probably something else altogether?

TIA -

632 Regal
10-11-2004, 02:13 PM
with the 740 bushings already installed. I dont think there should be any play (of significance) between the bolt and collar but once torqued down that play should tighten up.

andyman32
10-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Here's what I mean, Jeff:

http://www.andywhalen.com/images/DCP_1391sm.jpg

MBXB
10-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Pick up the entire arm from BMA with the 750 bushings already installed.

andyman32
10-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I ordered both arms; I just got Meyle steel arms. Hopefully we can put them on at Bret's BMW Farm!!!!!!!

Bruno
10-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Could also be wheel bearings...

My wheel bearings were shot and warped my brand new rotors.

632 Regal
10-12-2004, 10:33 AM
some antiquated way of testing these things? I think I get a whirr up there when I brake hard but they seem tight...Idonno.

Could also be wheel bearings...

My wheel bearings were shot and warped my brand new rotors.

andyman32
10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Could be wheel bearings, I don't really know how to check if they're bad. At any rate, i KNOW the control arms and engine mounts are bad. Maybe I'll wait w/ the new rotors until I can take it down to Bret's and let the other guys have a look at it. I got cross-drilled rotors & ceramic pads - don't want to f* up these ones ;D

an535i
10-13-2004, 12:18 AM
I am also interested in this topic as I have farely new brakes / new control arms with 750i bushings, and after some hard driving i think my wheel bearings might be going out.. is there a definitive way to check these? (not howling or grinding.. just vibration under braking at any speeds)

grave77
10-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Can you tell me what makes the 750 bushings better? and do you know if the bigger rims cause more vibration? basicly nothing left to change but the bearings but I already checked them and they also seem ok. unless there is another simple and professional way to check them?!
Does Bigger rims cause more vibration?

grave77
10-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Well I have suspected this, but the problem is that this vibration is not taking a steady behavior. when I installed new rims it went off, after some time it got back again. I have all thrust arms replaced with new bushings. many are telling me to use 750 bushings and this is something new to try but I don't really know if it will solv it. I have new Lamforder front disks. are they good enough? I'm afrade that they can't handle heat so they need surfacing. Any ideas ?

darron525
10-13-2004, 10:43 AM
are your wheels hubcentric? do you have the proper centerbore ( 72.56)?

darron

grave77
10-13-2004, 12:32 PM
centerbore ( 72.56)? <--- can you clarify more ... is it wheel balancing your talking about?