PDA

View Full Version : if i had a internal tranny cooler leak (a4s 310r).....

ryan roopnarine
08-31-2004, 09:04 PM
and coolant and tranny fluid were mixing, would I be able to notice it in either fluid? i've noticed that the coolant looks like somebody put two drops of vegetable oil in the overflow tank (m50 rad). i drained the tranny fluid this weekend, and didn't notice anything greasy/wrong about it, looked OK for 7,000 mile tranny fluid. the coolant smells like coolant, i'm just concerned about a little "slickness" i feel in the fluid (could be nothing). if it were even a pinhole sized leak, would i be able to notice it?

winfred
08-31-2004, 10:19 PM
atf when mixed with water makes this discusting pepto bismol looking **** and when you drop the pan theres usually lots of white crud in there

sbcncsu
09-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Ryan,

On my old 1995 525i the cooler was mounted in front of the radiator. The fluid did not pass through the radiator like on most automatics. What year is your car again?

Also, atf feels a little slick by itself. (Did I say atf, I meant antifreeze...Duh) The glycol by nature is slick.

ryan roopnarine
09-01-2004, 08:41 AM
its a 1992, i thought that the lower hose on the coolant expansion tank was for atf...guess i'll just look it up in the etk or such. good that its seperate, though.