PDA

View Full Version : Can a new ignition lock cylinder be matched to my key?

mancini_mark
08-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted. That's because I've bought an old jeep to drive while I slowly tackle the issues with my bmw. My ignition lock freezes once in a while, and it just won't turn. I sprayed some lube in it for now, and it's been better, but I can't trust it, so I'm getting a new lock cylinder. But, I want to use the same key for ignition and doors, so will a dealer or locksmith be able to key the new cylinder to my existing key?

Thanks,

Mark

Randell
09-01-2004, 02:50 AM
My Dad had this same problem with his Merc. Make sure you get to it before the whole thing collapses on your key, otherwise you'll have to park it with the key in the ignition, and the car probably won't be there in the morning!

He fixed his up just as the key started to get sticky. He had to give Mercedes his VIN and they sent him a tumbler that matched his original keys.

Not sure if the same applies for BMW, but i don't see why not. It's a fair bit more expensive (not sure exactly how much more) than getting a new tumbler with a different key.

kjbcpa
09-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Excellant warning: My 1990 525 ignition switch failed with little warning about 50 miles from home. It absolutely would not turn and required towing back. My mechanic sees about one a month and was able to order a properly keyed replacement.