PDA

View Full Version : Impressed Again

Karl
08-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Think I mentioned last week that Momma and I took her 525ia to drivers' school. Once I started to get a handle on how much speed it could carry through a corner it did really well for a totally stock car. Unfortunately, both straights were preceeded by tight, slow corners, so everyone but the 318 and Miata was blowing right by on the straight (only got to 80-85mph), they were digging out of the corner with some torque.

But today I rotated tires, thinking I had used up the fronts (they looked OK on the car, but...). But the tires were worn evenly all across, no excessive wear on the outside edge. Rears had only slightly less wear, both on the outside shoulders and overall. I'm impressed, by the suspension and the tires (Yoko AVS intermidiate, 225/60x15 on stock rims)

Also impressed by the brakes. Put in the Raybestos pads last spring, as recommended by an earler post on the board. On my first session, I drove the car in E/D, and brakes were fading by the end. I was also feeling out the car, since we never had it up to speed before. The rest of the weekend I set the transmission to S/3, kept getting faster and braking harder for shorter distance and had no more fade with them. Checked the pads while rotating tires, and there's plenty of lining left. The wheels looked like brakes had been used hard, but not grossly dirty--cleaned up easily. That worked well, thanks to the board for the tip.