PDA

View Full Version : Carbon removal in an M50 with 109K miles?

rizal
08-30-2004, 01:28 AM
What's the easiest way to clear out the carbon in an M50? Mine has 109,000 miles and pinged lightly anyway, then more when I put the EAT chip in. A few hard runs through the gears helped a lot, but I still get a very light pinging under light throttle that cleans up with a little more throttle application. I need something a casual DIY'er can do. Thanks. Al

winfred
08-30-2004, 12:41 PM
i like to get the motor good and hot and let it drink about a pint of water through a vacuum hose directly into the intake at about 2k rpm, then let it warm back up and repete

Rory
08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
What's the easiest way to clear out the carbon in an M50? Mine has 109,000 miles and pinged lightly anyway, then more when I put the EAT chip in. A few hard runs through the gears helped a lot, but I still get a very light pinging under light throttle that cleans up with a little more throttle application. I need something a casual DIY'er can do. Thanks. Al
Hi Al,

I saw your tranny post also regarding tranny ticking. You sure it isn't coming from the engine? Does it vary with engine speed? Sounds like a tap tap tap and will eventually go away above 3K RPM's or so? That sounds like lifter noise to me.

I prefer the Italian tuneup approach. I was getting a lot of horrid lifter noise for a few weeks as I don't drive much anymore. I ended up taking a 40 mile roadtrip on the highway and left it in 3rd and 4th gear the entire time. I had the engine reving above 4K RPM's the entire time and I must say there is a huge difference since then. I have the same setup in sedan form (EAT, mileage). Take the car out for a roadtrip and drive it like you stole it. My theory is that my wife's and my granny driving around town lasted too long and I got a lot of carbon buildup internally. Running nice and hard cleared everything out. My first few runs up to the redline resulted in a lot of disgusting debris coming from the exhaust. You can start looking at BG-44K or other cleaners if it doesn't help but this is much less invasive and more fun ;)

Good Luck,
Rory

DallasBill
08-30-2004, 05:18 PM
RXP: http://www.rxp.com/photo_B&A.htm

6 bucks.