PDA

View Full Version : radio code

95-540iLE
08-30-2004, 12:27 AM
I recently had a new battery fitted by the dealer. They subsequently used computer info to determine my radio's code based on the radio it had when new. But the radio in my car was replaced under warranty many years ago.

As such, the code they used was incorrect and led to a shut down of my radio. I have the correct code and they also identified it by taking the radio out and checking its serial number - but after it had shut down.

They returned the car to me with the radio still out and told me that after about 24 hours, it would reset itself. I am still waiting for it to do this after some 2 weeks. I have reconnected it a couple of times and run a test but it refuses to accept the code, which has worked when I have used it prior to this situation.

Obviously I am going to go back to the dealers and demand they fix it. But before I do, any comment on what might be going on? Should the radio reset itself and, if so, how long could it take? Did the dealer stuff it somehow?

Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks
David
1995 M-540i (Aus Edition)

eggdog23
09-07-2004, 03:48 PM
After three unsucessful attempts (which is your case), I think the car has to run for x amount (maybe 30 minutes) of time before the radio allows you to enter the code. And if the radio beeps before you enter the code, you need to reenter the code, i.e., start over. So I would suggest reinstalling the radio and let the car run and then retry your code.

Aaron

95 525iT
86 325
76 2002

Bill R.
09-07-2004, 05:56 PM
for one hour, then you get 3 more attempts, if you fail to punch in the code correctly this time then you have to do the key on for one hour routine again.

I recently had a new battery fitted by the dealer. They subsequently used computer info to determine my radio's code based on the radio it had when new. But the radio in my car was replaced under warranty many years ago.

As such, the code they used was incorrect and led to a shut down of my radio. I have the correct code and they also identified it by taking the radio out and checking its serial number - but after it had shut down.

They returned the car to me with the radio still out and told me that after about 24 hours, it would reset itself. I am still waiting for it to do this after some 2 weeks. I have reconnected it a couple of times and run a test but it refuses to accept the code, which has worked when I have used it prior to this situation.

Obviously I am going to go back to the dealers and demand they fix it. But before I do, any comment on what might be going on? Should the radio reset itself and, if so, how long could it take? Did the dealer stuff it somehow?

Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks
David
1995 M-540i (Aus Edition)

95-540iLE
09-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks Guys. Will try and see if this fixes the problem.

Kind regards