PDA

View Full Version : some disturbing personal results with US/walmart supertech ATF.....

ryan roopnarine
08-29-2004, 11:10 PM
for the past 4 ATF changes (i change ATF with motor oil), i've been using walmart's supertech atf because it comes in convenient 1 gallon jugs for 4.xx, available everywhere. after this last cycle, i developed a noticeable whine in 1st and 2nd gear. i figured that it was from an air leak caused by the indy not reinstalling my tranny dipstick properly. after reading various posts on bobistheoilguy about how the warren petroleum products produced for walmart branding were generally only the bare minimum WRT standards and duplicability of results, and hearing many good things from the same place about the quality of citgo ATF sold at dollar tree nationally for 1$usd/quart, thought i could give it a try. 4 quarts of the citgo are actually cheaper than the gallon jug from walmart, which was suprising. long story short....i replaced the same quantity of ST atf with the citgo, and the whine disappeared. this is more than a little unacceptable to me. why the heck didn't 3l of their product work with the other 10l of their product? their supertech 10w40 didn't hold up well either........at 1500 miles, it had failed the roopnarine viscosity test (gas mileage went down in a matter generally characteristic of the oil going out of grade). there was no gas contamination in this case, so that wasn't the problem. i guess i'll just be using the supertech products as pre installation flushes for mobil1 or the german castrol products from now on.:^) considering finding a dollar tree with a case of the stuff and buying 12 or 24 bottles so i don't have to think about it in the future.