PDA

View Full Version : Broken rear strut mount or???

BigD
08-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey guys,

I have an odd problem. I've been noticing sometimes that my car sits low on the right side in the rear and accordingly, the right rear wheel is cambered inwards more than the left. Before I wrote it off as the car sitting on an angle. Today we went on a big cruise and it was raining. With my crappy tires, I easily break traction in 2nd and 3rd under hard acceleration. Except I was steadily sliding the ass to the right. I wrote it off as the road being slanted to the right. But then the guy following me went on the 2-way and asked if I realize that I'm driving sideways. We pulled over, he showed me the video. Nothing TOO crazy (or I'd feel it) but when he would line up the camera with my left rear corner, you could see my front wheel!

We pulled over, and the car was parked on a steep angle. I rocked the car and one guy was feeling the wheel, and said you can feel (even see if you look closely) a popping action/sound as the wheel travels up and down.

I was convinced that it's the upper strut mount because the wheel stays centered (fore/aft, in/out), just as though the spring comresses for no apparent reason. I got home, pulled off the rear seatback and the dust cap (wow I forgot how much this sucks) and it looks fine. I rocked the car side to side and the strut seemed to move with the mount smoothly. I pulled the driver's side dust cap and the mount looked the same...

Then I also noticed that the car was also sitting evenly and, the wheels were angled the same way. I jacked it up, pulled the wheel, I shook everything in sight and everything felt tight (of course, it was also under load from the sway bar...

I gave up, parked the car into the garage, and as I walked out I noticed the wheel was canted again and that side was a little sagged....

Any thoughts? I don't hear any clunking when I drive, it doesn't have any noticeable rear wheel steering... Could the shock mount be wasted without it being obvious? AND, can it pop in and out? Although, I'm 310lbs, and I jumped up and down on the driver's side passenger door opening, passenger's side, trunk, and it made no noises, the height and camber didn't change... I'm at a bit of a loss...

BigD
08-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Bizzump