PDA

View Full Version : M20 head, lost cause or repairable?

carolina525
08-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Notice the 3 broken section on the intake rocker side (shiny spots) I have the 3 pices that have come off. Can they be welded back on or is this head a gonner? Please advise. Thanks

winfred
08-29-2004, 12:31 PM
i've seen some real ugly repaires for that charming problem, when i find a head on a motor like that from the salvage yard it's becomes spare parts to rebuild good head castings, that said you have little to loose besides a head gasket and head bolts if it dies after repair (roughly $100-150) plus the repair $, price for a used head to a used motor runs from $400 (or less if you find one that they don't know what it's worth) to $1100, we sell I heads from $6-700 and have trouble keeping them in stock, comercial rebuilt heads run around $1000

Notice the 3 broken section on the intake rocker side (shiny spots) I have the 3 pices that have come off. Can they be welded back on or is this head a gonner? Please advise. Thanks

carolina525
08-29-2004, 12:43 PM
I would rather fix it right the first time instead of being stuck somewhere in the future (I travel a lot and need a dependable vehicle). I have found a rebuilt head for $700 from www.headsonly.com. Do you know anything about them (good or bad) or do you have a head available? If so what do you charge?

i've seen some real ugly repaires for that charming problem, when i find a head on a motor like that from the salvage yard it's becomes spare parts to rebuild good head castings, that said you have little to loose besides a head gasket and head bolts if it dies after repair (roughly $100-150) plus the repair $, price for a used head to a used motor runs from $400 (or less if you find one that they don't know what it's worth) to $1100, we sell I heads from $6-700 and have trouble keeping them in stock, comercial rebuilt heads run around $1000

Rigmaster
08-29-2004, 12:55 PM
That's not really worth repairing, unless you aren't afraid to re-do the job again, or pay someone to re-do it if the repair does not hold.

Used heads are not hard to find, expect to spend $2-350 getting it rebuilt, and you'll be good for another 200k (or until it gets overheated or someone breaks the t-belt on it again......)

I've got a good used head from an '89 525i for $375 delivered (within USA). If you don't have a good machine shop locally, I could get mine to "rebuild" the head for you and send you the head ready to bolt on- if you want to pay for it. Let me know.

Bret.
Clayton, NC

carolina525
08-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Whats wrong with your head that it needs rebuilding?

That's not really worth repairing, unless you aren't afraid to re-do the job again, or pay someone to re-do it if the repair does not hold.

Used heads are not hard to find, expect to spend $2-350 getting it rebuilt, and you'll be good for another 200k (or until it gets overheated or someone breaks the t-belt on it again......)

I've got a good used head from an '89 525i for $375 delivered (within USA). If you don't have a good machine shop locally, I could get mine to "rebuild" the head for you and send you the head ready to bolt on- if you want to pay for it. Let me know.

Bret.
Clayton, NC

Rigmaster
08-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Nothing in particular is "wrong" with it, but it's used, probably has ~100k miles on it, and you would be better off getting it checked out + refurbed while it's off, the cost is small (to do it now) compared to the cost of putting it on and having to pull it back off again to redo it.

Bret.