PDA

View Full Version : M20 Timing Belt to Chain Conversion?

carolina525
08-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know if there is a conversion kit that swaps out the wimpy 50,000 mile belt with a lifetime chain? I have cracked 2 cylinder heads due to broken belts and both under the 50,000 mile mark. If there isnt one, maybe someone with the means should create one, I know I would pay good money for it!!

Rigmaster
08-29-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't know of any conversion like this- the market is probably pretty small when it comes time to fork over the $$$$$$ for the conversion vs. just maintaining the t-belt.

I hammer my 325i pretty hard on the track, and have never had a t-belt problem (original motor with 250k+ miles on it). I change the t-belt every ~60k or so.

The only broken t-belts I've seen on M20's that had maintenance records had 100k+ on the belt(s). Not sure why you have broken 2 with less than 50k, sounds like bad luck or bad mechanic or ????

Bret.

winfred
08-29-2004, 01:59 PM
ditto, i've seen defective belts crap at 20k, i allways go for name brand belts to attempt to minimize the possiblity of failure, i like continental aka conti tech

I don't know of any conversion like this- the market is probably pretty small when it comes time to fork over the $$$$$$ for the conversion vs. just maintaining the t-belt.

I hammer my 325i pretty hard on the track, and have never had a t-belt problem (original motor with 250k+ miles on it). I change the t-belt every ~60k or so.

The only broken t-belts I've seen on M20's that had maintenance records had 100k+ on the belt(s). Not sure why you have broken 2 with less than 50k, sounds like bad luck or bad mechanic or ????

Bret.