PDA

View Full Version : Best gasoline Bbrand for BMWs?

Russell
08-29-2004, 07:48 AM
I just installed Mark's chip in my 95 525i. Now I am more concerned over gasoline quality than before as the car now require preminum fuel. I typically use 91-93 octane fuel. However, is there a significant difference in brands? I prefer Chevron because of Techron. What other choices do I have? FYI, I live in central Kentucky as fuels may be limited by region.

rickm
08-29-2004, 09:06 AM
What other brands are available? I was going to an Amoco here until they were taken over by BP...the gas seems to have changed. Powers my wife's Volvo just fine, not so fine in my 525. I switched to an Exxon with new tanks that seems to be great so far.

I used to fill up at Sam's...the gas is about 5 cents cheaper/gallon. It worked ok in the Dodge I once had, it sucks in the BMW, even their premium fuel. The same for some of the off brands that are all over Western NC.

On the way back from the coast I filled up at one of those truckstop places, I swear my mpg went up 2mpg after that. Very busy place, not sure that fuel hangs around too often.

What you could do is to compare. Fill up, take notes. See how well the care behaves, check mpg, etc. What moved me to Exxon was the difference in performance when I head up on the Parkway for some spirited mountain driving.