PDA

View Full Version : Plugs

JoshsE34-M50
08-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Getting ready to do some projects on the 525 since it is a nice sunny day.
Doing the microfilter and sparkplugs. What type of plugs is everyone running in the M50? Thanks!
-Josh

RobPatt
08-28-2004, 04:49 PM
in fact, BMA has a packaged tune up kit, filters, plugs, etc for about $70 I think.... www.bmaparts.com. cheers, Rob.

Getting ready to do some projects on the 525 since it is a nice sunny day.
Doing the microfilter and sparkplugs. What type of plugs is everyone running in the M50? Thanks!
-Josh

JoshsE34-M50
08-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Rob, thanks for the info. I will check into the kit. My dealer sold me F8LDCR's, but from what I have gathered, they are not the right plugs. Looks like F7LDCR is what I should use. Thanks
-Josh

Bill R.
08-28-2004, 05:51 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/sparkplug.jpg
Ngk's myself, Ihave had much better results with them.

QUOTE=JoshsE34-M50]Getting ready to do some projects on the 525 since it is a nice sunny day.
-Josh[/QUOTE]

632 Regal
08-28-2004, 06:47 PM
I dont follow.

Bill R.
08-28-2004, 07:39 PM
1975 and occasionally i get a bosch plug that fails either right out of the box or within a month or so. The worst failure I have had with them is the center insulator cracking and falling into the combustion chamber. Personally only had it happen once but have seen others it happened too... can't vouch for their installation though. On the other hand i have installed as many or more ngk and have never had a bad plug out of the box,....ever. and have never had a porcelain failure with them. That plus the fact that the threads seem to be cut a little cleaner and on most cars they are gapped exactly right out of the box... quality control overall just seems to be better, I pay a little more for the ngk but i don't mind that since its less than a buck more than the bosch super.
In my case better results means , no comebacks, a happy customer and fewer headaches for me.....plus given the choice on my own cars I will always choose ngk

I dont follow.

632 Regal
08-28-2004, 08:25 PM
when I was running crotch rockets I couldnt keep an NGK plug in it, changing constantly. I ended up cross referencing to a champion (which i normally detest) and never fouled a plug after. So from that experience I figured Bosch would naturally over ride NGK. Other than that I havent had any problemd with my replacement Bosh in a year or so , I will assume I passed the trial and error period.

molesz
08-29-2004, 02:25 AM
I have used NGK BKR6EK plugs for a long time with no problem at all, and a mont ago I bought BOSCH Super4 (FR78X) and the difference I noticed is in faster start up and a bit smoother engine ride, and maybe a bit faster engine response on acceleration. Other than that, no difference, same fuel consumption ...
As I found on the plugs box these suits into Your bimmer too.

winfred
08-29-2004, 10:49 AM
i also have gotten the occaisional dead super, the only way i've seen the super plugs mechanicaly fail is the metal body cracks between the threads and hex and the guts come completely out of the plug leaving the threaded part in the head, it's not hard to back the threaded part out with a large easy out because it leaves a nice clean hole, i've only come across this about 5 times in the last 10 years so it's not really much of a comsern

1975 and occasionally i get a bosch plug that fails either right out of the box or within a month or so. The worst failure I have had with them is the center insulator cracking and falling into the combustion chamber. Personally only had it happen once but have seen others it happened too... can't vouch for their installation though. On the other hand i have installed as many or more ngk and have never had a bad plug out of the box,....ever. and have never had a porcelain failure with them. That plus the fact that the threads seem to be cut a little cleaner and on most cars they are gapped exactly right out of the box... quality control overall just seems to be better, I pay a little more for the ngk but i don't mind that since its less than a buck more than the bosch super.
In my case better results means , no comebacks, a happy customer and fewer headaches for me.....plus given the choice on my own cars I will always choose ngk

ScottyWM
08-29-2004, 05:11 PM
BMA sold me the F8LDCR's even though I asked for the F7LDCR, said they were the same - just a slightly different heat range. They've been fine... still don't know why they tried to convince me they were the recommended plug for my car though.

Keith
09-01-2004, 02:08 PM
I have used NGK BKR6EK plugs for a long time with no problem at all, and a mont ago I bought BOSCH Super4 (FR78X) and the difference I noticed is in faster start up and a bit smoother engine ride, and maybe a bit faster engine response on acceleration. Other than that, no difference, same fuel consumption ...
As I found on the plugs box these suits into Your bimmer too.

Meaning you like the Bosch better, or the NGK????

Keith