PDA

View Full Version : Very rough ride- Why??

Russell
08-28-2004, 07:40 AM
I recently installed Bruno’s thrust arm inserts on my 95 525i to stiffen up my front suspension in hoping to reduce shimmy and wander. While it eliminated a small 55-60 mph shimmy, the ride is so rough especially over small sharp edge bumps, I am considering removing them.

Before, I do so; I want to consider other options. First of all the front struts are original with 99,000 miles. I have also been lowering tire pressure to compensate for perceived harshness. I run 26 to 29 psi on the front with stock 225/60/15 Bridgestone Turanzas. I have found that with higher pressure the ride is rough even without the inserts.

I think I should replace the struts before changing anything else? Any thoughts?

mikemaster
08-28-2004, 08:35 AM
As a general rule, when you increase the handling and response, you also increase the harshness in the suspension. Usually a fresh stock suspension and wheel setup will give you the smoothest ride. After you upgrade, you will find yourself driving around those manhole covers that you used to drive over. Struts seem like a good place to start.

Mike S.-------->Sach's kit, 17's, Bruno's inserts, fresh front suspension

bahnstormer
08-28-2004, 10:36 AM
i think perhaps u should raise the psi in your tires to a safe level. u are SEVERLY undermining your cars ability to handle, and increasing tire wear.

replace your shocks asap and run 30/32 psi.

do u carry anything in your car? a heavy load?

Tiger
08-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Your struts are definitely shot... especially on original one. You kept bottoming out.

Russell
08-28-2004, 11:13 AM
BMW TIS recommends 29 psi front for this size tire. 26 psi for 205/65/15. Even the door sticker state 26 psi for out of US and canada. BTW, I mostly drive alone with no extra load.

That said, I mostly drive with front TP at 29-30. I was trying 26 PSI recently. Steering was stiffer and less responsive. Did not like. Front struts are next.

i think perhaps u should raise the psi in your tires to a safe level. u are SEVERLY undermining your cars ability to handle, and increasing tire wear.

replace your shocks asap and run 30/32 psi.

do u carry anything in your car? a heavy load?

Russell
08-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks-believe you are correct.