PDA

View Full Version : Advice to a newbie... which E34

E30toE34
08-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Members of the "Bavarian Brotherhood" please advise... I am sure this is an old worn out topic for you regulars... but please forgive me, I am new to this site.
I have spent the last 6 years enjoying my E30s but now wish to graduate to an E34. Please share your wisdom and direct me to the "best" E34. I am leaning toward the 535i... what say you?

Mr. BILL
08-27-2004, 09:16 PM
A 535 is an excellent choice. Probably the most durable 6 banger ever built. Check out Bruno's site www.BMWE34.net. It's the mother of all E34 sites.

RobPatt
08-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Well, I had both at the same time, and some on the board currently do... the E34 won't drive stock like the E30 did (well not the 325is anyway...). I'd say get any 5 speed E34 in good condition without the M20 motor.... the newer M50 2.5 has noticably more power and torque. No timing chains, valve adjustments, etc, nor the 'grunt' of the bigger 6 either though. The V8's had some naskil? issues you'd have to research, but by this age they're probably all worked out. Some folks seem to have auto tranny headaches in various cars, more so in the V8s, I had a simple hiccup w/my 525ia (a for auto) and it's going great at 126K miles still... The E34's will have a few more electrical gremlins than the E30, but they're more luxury oriented. Check that web site referred in the other post, www.bmwe34.net. Have a good independent BMW mecahnic check it out, buy yourself a repair manual, and have a new hobby/driving experience! Good luck! -Rob. '93 525ia. ... and oh yeah, there's plenty more experienced folks on this board than I, so hopefully you'll get their comments too.... My auto tranny still brings a smile, but I do still wonder, "....if I had a 5 speed.....".

Members of the "Bavarian Brotherhood" please advise... I am sure this is an old worn out topic for you regulars... but please forgive me, I am new to this site.
I have spent the last 6 years enjoying my E30s but now wish to graduate to an E34. Please share your wisdom and direct me to the "best" E34. I am leaning toward the 535i... what say you?

winfred
08-27-2004, 11:11 PM
i have both, i have put almost 70k miles on my 90 325ism and am right at 30k miles on the 90 535ia, if i had to pick one to keep id keep the e30 i just like it more, not say i don't like the e34 i have put 30k on it in 2.6 years as a 2nd car. id suggest a 535 and a further suggestion with a 5 speed, budget a cooling system rebuild for whatever you get to avoid major potential problems, e34 cooling systems are not as tough as a e30, the 535's m30 has a potential head gasket problem if it's negleted long enough, a head set, a set of head bolts and maybe a light cut on the head surface to clean it up and it's fixed, diy it's probably about a $250-300 job. the m20 525s are generally beat to hell, nice ones are still out there but the power is a bit low for 3500+ pounds of car, coming from a e30 a v8 may be too much of a shock with it's agravating quirks and expensive desires, the 530 aint worth it if ya gotta have a v8 get a 540.

E30toE34
08-29-2004, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the input. I gather the v8s are a bit more tempermental that the I6? I want a reliable daily driver that can give me a thrill as well. My 325i is performing that function quite well now, but I want more power and a bit more passenger room. Sounds like the 535i 5speed may give me what I want...
What modifications should I look for (good or bad) when I am looking for one?
I would be fine with a stock find, but it seems there are many modified ones out there.
Thanks for the Bruno's website info, lots of good stuff there. :)

Geoff Hoad
08-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Firstly, keep the E30. You will be sorry if you get rid of it!

Secondly, if your'e a power freak go for a 540i if not then the 525i (M50 engine not M20 engine) is the smoothest six clylider ever made and its variants are still being used in current BMW engines (ie M54). With an EAT chip it will be as quick as a 535i and is just as durable. A low cost option is the 535i which is a bulletproof engine and well sorted out. Personally, a manual 525i or 535i would be the go. The V8's are nice but are expensive when they break.

Hope this helps,