PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Fuel Injectors Fitment

Mr Project
08-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Ok, as part of my HG replacement I fitted some Bosch Design III 19# fuel injectors to my M30. A few notes:

1 - The plastic guard at the nozzle end of the injector did not fit fully into the intake manifold. I had to trim the plastic down slightly to allow it to sit all the way in the manifold.

2 - The Mustang O-rings that come with the take-out injectors do not fit as well as the replacement BMW O-rings from BMA. The BMW o-rings are a much better, tighter fit into both the manifold and the fuel rail.

3 - Even though the height of the injectors looks the same in a side-by-side comparison, the Design III Bosch seemed to be shorter once installed. I had to 'oval' the bolt holes in the fuel rail mounts slightly in order to get what I felt was a good, tight fit.

Anybody else have these issues, or others? I've got an idle issue to track down, and for now I am still using the stock 3 bar FPR. Might upgrade to 3.5 as others have. Too early to determine any gain in mileage, but it does seem quite a bit smoother off-idle. Could be from de-carboning, too, though.

FYI, I paid $125 for a set of 6 take-outs from www.FiveOMotorsports.com. I received them 2 days after I ordered them, and was very happy with the product and the service.

zmuff
08-27-2004, 03:55 PM
I used the design II D5B 19lb injectors and they went in as direct replacement, no minor mods required. Yeah, the o-rings were just a fraction smaller on them also, but I went with them anyway. I've been watching carefully for about 6 months...no problems as yet.

Mr Project
08-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Mike, did you do the 3.5 bar FPR right away or did you wait a while? Any differences or benefits for you with the 3.5 vs. the 3.0?

Yeah, apparently the design III is not as bolt-in as the design II. Not a big surprise, I guess, but I haven't seen it documented anywhere, so I wanted folks to know...

zmuff
08-28-2004, 05:51 AM
I replaced the FPR about 3 months after the injectors and only because the original one failed. My seat of the pants meter (not calibrated) indicates a smoother idle and a stronger pull at higher RPM's, but that may just be me. My fuel economy did go up (injectors and FPR combined) by 3 to 4 mpg. I have confirmed this several times by the OBC vs actual fuel used, and I have done OBC test 20 to recalibrate fuel consumption. My performance and fuel economy didn't change too much after changing the just the injectors, but I'm guessing it's because the FPR was beginning to show signs of failure.