PDA

View Full Version : Another M30 HG down....and back!

Mr Project
08-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Well, 2 weeks ago I was checking fluids as a pre-flight for a trip up to Omaha, and... uh, oh..... oil in the coolant res. No other symptoms!!

So now:
Head is 7 thousandths straighter (pressure test ok)
Intake, valve cover, and thermostat housings are painted black
Intake manifold is gasket-matched to head
Take-off Bosch Design III 19# injectors
Fresh BMW coolant (again!)
New vacuum hoses
New exhaust studs and nuts
Probably 5 pounds lighter due to carbon removal!

Grand total with the injectors was around $425, obviously doing it all myself but the head milling. So not too bad, really. Thanks BMA and FiveOMotorsports!

Things I learned:
The engine compartment looks WAY better with stuff painted
1 little 5'10" guy CAN lift the head off and on unassisted, even with the intake manifold attached, without damaging anything other than maybe my back. :)
Bleeding M30s is a pain. Well, I already knew that.
You need MORE than 3 gallons of coolant when the system has been totally drained.
The intake manifold casting is WAY off from the head! I mean, that's terrible!
At 181k, this was still the original HG. Things actually looked pretty good, too.

Things I have to do yet:
Idle is pretty bad. Hoping DME adaptation helps, and then I'll do a valve adjustment (guess I don't really trust the machine shop), and then a 3.5 bar FPR.
Timing chain is also original. Guides are kinda worn, too. So, add that to the list... I didn't have time or the inclination to attack that without a serious tool for the crank pulley.

Impressions:
Wow, it's so smooth!! Once your'e off idle, it runs really smooth....it's been a couple of weeks, but I swear it runs way better...must be the injectors and de-carboning. There was TONS of crap in the intake manifold, surprised it ran at all before.

I've been driving my 300E in the interim, and I forgot how much faster and more responsive the BMW is. :) Steering is really dead, though. :(

So, another M30 HG bit the dust, but it's back, and better than ever. Just had to share!

winfred
08-27-2004, 12:23 PM
the box is a easy adjust on the benz, injection system may need a tune up, those things are usually not too bad on power, it may also not be shifting into 1st gear, they like to start in 2nd and only hit 1st when you really mean it

I've been driving my 300E in the interim, and I forgot how much faster and more responsive the BMW is. :) Steering is really dead, though. :(

Mr Project
08-27-2004, 12:33 PM
You're right, I do need to do an injection tune-up on the benz. Getting an ABS light and fluxuating oil press. guage, (OVP replaced) so it might need some voltage regulator attention as well.

mikemaster
08-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Nice! Where'd you get the gasket set and studs from and how much $$$ ?
Also, let's see some pics of the engine bay. ;)

Mr Project
08-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Pics to come as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on a camera. It's nothing special, but it's a lot cleaner.

I have a confession to make. I waxed the valve cover because I didn't want it to water-spot since it go splashed a few times while I was bleeding the coolant. Does this make me some kind of show-car-geek? :) The massive paint-checking on the rest of the car should help that. :)

All parts from BMA except the injectors from FiveOMotorsports. The impressively-complete gasket set was around $100, and the new head bolts were probably $20-25.

kiNGMak
08-27-2004, 09:26 PM
want to do my hg job? i have my car sitting in the garage semi pulled apart.. i dont have the drive to do it.. i will prolly continue tomorrow.. its been hot here and i am lazy :)

winfred
08-27-2004, 09:34 PM
when where and how much

want to do my hg job? i have my car sitting in the garage semi pulled apart.. i dont have the drive to do it.. i will prolly continue tomorrow.. its been hot here and i am lazy :)

Hector
08-28-2004, 01:16 AM
Several mils of the cylinder head got shaved off, did the front end (chains, sprockets, rails, tensioners) and the bottom end (oil pan gasket, new oil pump.) Now that I'm so close to the finish line, it seems that I ran out of gas. Been draging my feet for several months now. Really, all I have to do is put the head back on the block, attach intake and exhaust and some other minor stuff and I'm home-free.

Dang, it's way past my bed time. Good nighter... zzzzzz.....

Mr Project
08-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Ok, here are some pics of the new hotness. :)

http://home.earthlink.net/~twobadeers/images/BMW_EC_Painted.jpg

Overall much nicer than before... very glad I spent the time and effort on the paint. Not perfect, but I really think a little paint makes the M30 look a lot more 'modern'

http://home.earthlink.net/~twobadeers/images/BMW_VC_Detail.jpg
Close-up of the VC

http://home.earthlink.net/~twobadeers/images/BMW%20Valve.jpg
For 181k, I'm REALLY happy with how clean the head is!! It came back from the shop looking like new.

After a valve adjustment, it's running better than ever, and idleing as well as an M30 can. Found a little vacuum leak and took care of that, too. So, I think I'm good to go!