PDA

View Full Version : TCD on My E34

Oldgreene34
08-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Just re-read the thread started when Todd announced that I had picked up my TCD Non-Intercooled kit and thought it reasonable to mention a couple of things;

I have an engine with increased compression over stock, I had the head milled 0.030”, so not much but certainly not lowered.

I am running at about 12 pounds of boost at the rev limiter without detonation. The right fuel and timing or ‘tuning’ is what it takes.

And the car rips and does it quietly. I will get it on a dyno as soon as I am completely happy, I think I can start adding timing back and leaning a bit as I have been cautious. As further testimonial I spent last Friday at a driving school, used up maybe 30% of my tires, lots of gasoline and some Hawk HT-10 pads and then made the 2-hour drive home comfortably and without incident.

I was passed by a full race prepped E36 M3 and that’s OK

Dave

SammyC
08-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Is your turbo a KKK, Garett, or somethings else?

Do you know the specs on your turbo unit, like what the compressor trim is or turbine housing?

Were you furnished with a copy of the compressor map from the manufacturer.

Do you have any pics you can share?

I have just found this board and can not believe how much information is available. I have been missing out on a lot.

Just re-read the thread started when Todd announced that I had picked up my TCD Non-Intercooled kit and thought it reasonable to mention a couple of things;

I have an engine with increased compression over stock, I had the head milled 0.030”, so not much but certainly not lowered.

I am running at about 12 pounds of boost at the rev limiter without detonation. The right fuel and timing or ‘tuning’ is what it takes.

And the car rips and does it quietly. I will get it on a dyno as soon as I am completely happy, I think I can start adding timing back and leaning a bit as I have been cautious. As further testimonial I spent last Friday at a driving school, used up maybe 30% of my tires, lots of gasoline and some Hawk HT-10 pads and then made the 2-hour drive home comfortably and without incident.

I was passed by a full race prepped E36 M3 and that’s OK

Dave[/QUOTE]

TCD
08-27-2004, 03:27 PM
http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/Fig16.gif

SammyC
08-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Since you pointed me to a turbonetics site for the compession map
(http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps)
indicating 60 trim.....

I could gather OLDGREENE34 is setup with a Turbonetics T04E with 60 compressor trim?

Neat.... running 12lbs with no intercooler.

http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/Fig16.gif

TCD
08-28-2004, 11:46 AM
T04E compressor wheel but the turbos are built by Innovative Turbo not Turbonetics.
Todd

SammyC
08-28-2004, 12:44 PM
http://innovativeturbo.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0084.1.3113864538479074321

I did not seem to see a T04E offerng in their product list. Is this a customer turbo made for you application?

T04E compressor wheel but the turbos are built by Innovative Turbo not Turbonetics.
Todd

TCD
08-28-2004, 08:02 PM
We have the turbos made to our spec. We have the turbos built for each application as well.
Todd

632 Regal
08-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Kinda like an anti hijack thread where I dont know anyone...interesting rounds.

SammyC
08-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Why do you have they custom made? Why don't you use the T04E with 60 trim from tubronetics, garett, etc?

We have the turbos made to our spec. We have the turbos built for each application as well.
Todd

TCD
08-29-2004, 08:48 AM
What? Because one turbo doesn't fit every application or Owner's requirements. We evaluate their application and future requirements and have a turbo built for them! Why would I just buy one off the shelf when we can do so much better?

BTW, Turbonetics is the most expensive manufacturer in the USA.

Todd

SammyC
08-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Turbonetics is rather high aren't they.

I guess I failed to reference what vehicle ( application) when posting my inquiry. I figured we were still referencing the M30 in OLDGREENE34 in our thread.

So in all the E34 M30s you have done, up have put a different Turbo setup in each one? ( due to possible difference in the owner's requirements)

How many turbo setups in general for M30 motors has your company done?

Did each one require a uniquely designed custom turbo?

What? Because one turbo doesn't fit every application or Owner's requirements. We evaluate their application and future requirements and have a turbo built for them! Why would I just buy one off the shelf when we can do so much better?

Todd

Oldgreene34
08-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Hey Todd,

Thought you and the forum would be interested to know that this weekend I loaded the car with our 2 sons and a buddy, Thule on the roof, full camping and fishing gear for a father-son weekend. We drove a total of 12 hours, mixed stop and go Friday rush, 140 km/hour cruising, 2 lane roads and even some gravel and the car ran flawlessly averaging 11 – 12 liters per 100 km, just less than 20 mpg. About the same as when the car was naturally aspired.

Apart from the full throttle performance of the turbo, my car is simply better. Cruising, the car is quieter, the engine acts like a large displacement straight 6, just as smooth but bigger. The car feels relaxed at speeds where it felt like you were working it before.

Passing on a 2 lane road in a heavily loaded car in 5th at half throttle with the same acceleration as you would have had at full throttle in 4th is a real pleasure.

Cheers,
Dave

Oldgreene34
08-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Sammy,

So far I am not able to post pictures. Todd has images and I can email you some if you send me your address.

Dave

TCD
08-30-2004, 08:52 AM
We generally use two different compressor wheels, one turbine but three different exhaust housings.
Todd

TCD
08-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Awesome! Glad it is performing well! Do your sons love the boost? Mine are addicted!
Todd

Oldgreene34
08-30-2004, 09:51 AM
2 sons, the 12 year old a gearhead like his dad and the 13 year old more the fisherman, regardless, they both smile, ask for more!
Dave

SammyC
08-30-2004, 10:45 AM
So in all the E34 M30s you have done?

QUOTE=TCD]We generally use two different compressor wheels, one turbine but three different exhaust housings.
Todd[/QUOTE]

SammyC
08-30-2004, 12:38 PM
I have sent you an email.

QUOTE=Oldgreene34]Sammy,

So far I am not able to post pictures. Todd has images and I can email you some if you send me your address.

Dave[/QUOTE]

SammyC
08-30-2004, 05:10 PM
So in all the E34 M30s you have done?

Todd

Oldgreene34
08-31-2004, 09:31 AM
Sammy,

My home computer is in the shop, adware removal, so I will likely not get to your message for a couple of days.

Cheers,
Dave

zak78
09-02-2004, 01:55 AM
Oldgreene,
What suspension/wheel/tire combination are you using? I find your comment about how the car "does everything better" intriguing. I'm a recent convert from the FWD Nissan world, where "fast" and "civilized" just don't go together. I understand your car is probably making about 325hp at the crank, right?
Nick

'91 Sentra se-r w/JDM 10.5:1, polyurethane everything, and the spinal injuries to prove that you should not lower a short-wheelbase car. Words can't explain how much I want to get out from under this mess.

TCD
09-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Oldgreene,
What suspension/wheel/tire combination are you using? I find your comment about how the car "does everything better" intriguing. I'm a recent convert from the FWD Nissan world, where "fast" and "civilized" just don't go together. I understand your car is probably making about 325hp at the crank, right?

Nick,

I have a huge list of the mods to Dave's suspension and brakes. It's a great car. It'll be car of the month on our site in Oct. I suspect it's going to have over 300rwhp.

Todd

zak78
09-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Hey Todd,
Thanx, I'll look forward to the site revision. In the meantime, I'll scan some more arcane turbo-Bimmer articles for posting here.

Nick, whose entire long-term memory consists of 80s tuner car trivia : )

Nick,

I have a huge list of the mods to Dave's suspension and brakes. It's a great car. It'll be car of the month on our site in Oct. I suspect it's going to have over 300rwhp.

Todd

Oldgreene34
09-06-2004, 06:21 AM
I have stiffened the suspension in every reasonable spot.
Bruno style rear subframe stiffening,
Racing Dyamics strut brace and sway bars, H&R springs,
Aluminum lower control arms,
Bilstein Sports
Ecentric poly bushings in the thrust arms turned around for more caster,
Added camber
And, I keep all the parts new

When I say it does everthing better, that is purely from my perspective. For example, if I have blocked my wife in, I move my car so she can get her A6 out...she doesn't even move my car, because it is stiff and the modified clutch is a bit grabby .... and,
Dave