PDA

View Full Version : Duey T...here's a checklist for you....

Brian C.
08-26-2004, 07:30 PM
This E-Bay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Mahogany-Aircraft-Models_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm) isn't mine, but has some really cool models on it. As a child of the '60's....I Dream of Jeannie....Apollo 13....Chuck Jeagar....on and on, I could get into serious debt if I look too long at all this stuff. It looks very nice too.....nice, not cheap.

So how many of these puppies have you had intimate contact with??

Brian C.

winfred
08-26-2004, 09:10 PM
ooooo damn you're eyes i don't need to spend money on dust collectors, i allways did like the flying flapjack, that thing came real close to being produced it's a shame the prototypes were scrapped i think there were 5 or 6

DueyT
08-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Brian...I've actually seen a few...thanks in no small part tot he Canadian Air Force for flying what others would call antiques. We flew the P-80 (actually the T-33) up until 2 years ago. We were even still using the Dak (C-47 / DC-3) as a nav trainer until about 12/14 years ago! :P

Had an opportunity to get (relatively) close your Exec Comd's two big birds years ago at the Halifax G8 summit...knew a buddy who was actually flying Marine 2 (well the QH-60 as Marine One, vice the regular VH-3G Sea King Marine One) and we drove past AF 1 and AF 2. Of course we didn't get cross the "red line"...the one where you could very well actually get shot if you didn't lie down and kiss the pavement when ordered to do so by the armed guards...

Nice collection...yup, but I think I'll stick with the pics...much easier on the wallet! :D

Cheers,
Duey

Brian C.
08-27-2004, 03:48 PM
...one of the largest General Aviation Airports around, Opa Locka Airport, that was known as Opa Locka Naval Air Station many moons ago. Planes going directly overhead is nothing to even notice anymore, but at least once or twice a week a DC-3 will come in or take off. Lots of them back and forth to South and Central America and The Islands. It's a wonderous sight, in today's world, to see those things chug-chug-chugging a couple of hundred feet off the ground. And at maybe 60-67mph too. How they stay up is a mystery.

Brian C.

rickm
08-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Before Gulf War I lived near the flight path of Langley AFB in Hampton, VA. One of the coolest sights were the C130s taking off. It took them forever to move across the sky, I swear that you could go inside, cook dinner, clean, take a shower and go back outside and they'd still be in view. Got up close to a Galaxy G5, once, that damn thing could have held a shopping mall inside.